American WW2 Browning M1917 MMG

Started by sultanbev, 13 February 2019, 12:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

Is it true, Pendraken don't do one of the fundamental weapons of WW2?
WW1 and Korea for that matter.

https://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/machine/mg59/m1917a1_2.jpg

:o  :o

if not, why not? That's like leaving out tripod mounted MG34s or MG42 from a German army, or Vickers Medium machine guns from a British WW1/2/Korean war army, or the Maxim from a Russian army.

Mark

Raider4

And yet, no one's noticed/complained until now?

:-[

steve_holmes_11

Whenever I've encountered them in games they've always been stuck on top of vehicles.

sultanbev

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 13 February 2019, 04:59:41 PM
Whenever I've encountered them in games they've always been stuck on top of vehicles.

That doesn't make sense, most vehicles had .50" M2 Browning HMG on top, not the .30" MMG.

Mark

d_Guy

As a kid, remember them from the icon movie, "Wake Island":
Sleep with clean hands ...

Steeleye

I 'complained' about this  years ago, I also noted the lack of early WWII US Infantry. Ok the WWI types could be used but the range is very limited and as at least two of us have noted there's no water cooled .30 cals.

pierre the shy

Could you purhaps use the BP14 Vickers MkI MG in helmet from the British WW1 range?

Helmets are same as for early WW2 US ones and the Vickers is water cooled so has expansion tank etc on the model. OK the Vickers water jacket is fluted but nothing a quick file down won't fix.

Not a .30 cal but whats 0.003" in 10mm between friends?

Purhaps "almost just like the real thing"  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But the Vickers has spade grips, and the M1917 has a pistol grip. !!!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

The Browning M1919 sees service right through from WW1 to Korea (possibly even Vietnam) so the Vickers covers a very limited period of it's use, at best!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

sultanbev

Actually the Polish wz30 MMG, item POL9, is the same weapon, so that could be used, it's whether you can get away with the gunner being dressed differently.
And have found Pithead make the American M1917 Browning MMG.

Mark

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: sultanbev on 13 February 2019, 05:01:44 PM
That doesn't make sense, most vehicles had .50" M2 Browning HMG on top, not the .30" MMG.

Mark

My fault for not reading the initial post properly.

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 February 2019, 09:30:59 AM
But the Vickers has spade grips, and the M1917 has a pistol grip. !!!!

And you can see this in 10mm ?  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr Dave

Quote from: Orcs on 14 February 2019, 07:52:33 PM
And you can see this in 10mm ?  :)

Well, kind of... because the crewman holds the "trigger" differently. Vickers - classic hands together, Browning - well, like a pistol really.

Quote from: sultanbev on 13 February 2019, 05:01:44 PM

Mark

Missed this eariler - it's wrong apart from tanks and TD's. The majority of 1/2 trackes had a 30 cal, as did almost all recce jeeps, unless tweeked by scrounging. The air cooled version of course. Offical OVE on an M3 was 1 x 30 cal, 1 Bazooka, 1 Thompson, and the tool kit.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 15 February 2019, 09:56:49 AM
Missed this eariler - it's wrong apart from tanks and TD's. The majority of 1/2 trackes had a 30 cal, as did almost all recce jeeps, unless tweeked by scrounging. The air cooled version of course. Offical OVE on an M3 was 1 x 30 cal, 1 Bazooka, 1 Thompson, and the tool kit.

IanS

Ian is bang on with his tracer. 
As to popularity - Minifigs offer the US infantry M1919.  I know guys who have purchased the Pendraken .30 crews (MC17) to make their Minifigs post-D Day units look right. :)