d’guy’s all new and totally improved 2019 painting diary

Started by d_Guy, 11 February 2019, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Edinburgh wasted a fortune on trams a few years back and is threatening to squander even more to extend the existing, useless service.

"500 million f***ing quid to replace the number 22 bus, have they completely lost their f***ing minds!" :)

BTW the 22 bus continues to run ... more frequently and to more stops than the trams.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

New trams in Liverpool were going to run out to Kirby, same as Merseyrail has, hence being abandoned. Brikenhead had the first trams in the country btw.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

Seen the Hitler / Edinburgh Tram video before - but still good!  ;D

My last experience on the Edinburgh Trams was as a prisoner. We were heading into town and very late for a special dinner reservation at the Balmoral Hotel. We were stuck in a traffic jam in Princes Street caused by motor vehicles which were, in turn, stuck at the junction between the Scott Monument and the Balmoral(?) and thus blocking the rails. We weren't allowed to exit the tram and time was ticking by very, very slowly, putting our reservation at risk. Very frustrating and I'm sure would not have happened if we were in a bus.    :-q
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

This is a hijack, take this thread to Cuba.
(Warning, subtitles not safe for work)
https://youtu.be/scIj3WSOhho
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Very funny ;D ;D ;D. Here in Bristol there has been talk for years of putting the trams back on the streets. Eventually they decided to go with a fancy park and ride scheme, with the roads completed before they had anyone to even run it!!! Oh, and bendy buses cause a perpetual nightmare here :(.

d_Guy

;D ;D
"Find Wally"

If not to be highjacked, what are the point of threads? It's like:

In early visits would stick out a handful of bizarre coins and let the "clippy" sort through them.

Thanks for the continued good wishes.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 16 June 2019, 12:06:00 PM
"500 million f***ing quid to replace the number 22 bus, have they completely lost their f***ing minds!" :)

So...Mike.....Come on.....Are you trying to tell us that you think it was a waste of money ?  :-\

I really think that folk should say what they mean, and not simply sit on the fence and leave everybody to guess their true opinions. ;)

Cheers - A Git.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 16 June 2019, 04:09:57 PM
So...Mike.....Come on.....Are you trying to tell us that you think it was a waste of money ?  :-

"You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment." ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Obviously if they are used correctly they can be of enormous benefit and cut pollution - or perhaps people like the idea of more youngsters with asthma - makes the awkward little buggers easier to control. The tram from Kirkby into Liverpool City centre would have taken a different route to the train with more stops, and then have looped around the city centre. Would have been a boon now that Liverpool has become a tourist destination. The buses push out fumes and are help to congest the roads.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

When I leave work (in Liverpool) - about 7pm - I have a 15 minute walk to the car. I almost never hear English (or even Scouse) spoken.

I think everyone in Liverpool is a tourist.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Buses here are increasingly electric or hybrid so still no excuse for extravagant spending on a white elephant.

Westmarcher

This (thread derailment) is like visiting someone (in this case, d-guy) who is sick; chatting about everything except the subject matter.

... which reminds me of the time a friend gave me an elephant for my room. I said, "Thanks." He said, "Don't mention it.'
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mmcv

Quote from: Steve J on 16 June 2019, 03:52:17 PM
Very funny ;D ;D ;D. Here in Bristol there has been talk for years of putting the trams back on the streets. Eventually they decided to go with a fancy park and ride scheme, with the roads completed before they had anyone to even run it!!! Oh, and bendy buses cause a perpetual nightmare here :(.

Did something similar in Belfast here, rapid transit bus system with dedicated bus lanes and park and rides. At the moment they have some Glider (tram like bendy bus) services running east to west and within the city centre to the newer 'Titanic' district. Not sure if they intend to expand anymore since we've not had a government for over two years! Seems to work well the few times I've used it mind you.

P.S. sorry to hear about your injury Bill, hope it heals soon!