d’guy’s all new and totally improved 2019 painting diary

Started by d_Guy, 11 February 2019, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Vivid, Leman, vivid.

While I have you here, how does Oman stack up these day for 16th c history of warfare? Reading his chapters on Tudor warfare again and find his prose style and lucidity pleasing. Likely will read the whole thing unless the Renaissance crew here has better suggestions.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

I'm not aware of anything really new specifically on the Italian Wars, other than Mallett and Shaw's The Italian Wars and Turnbull's The Art of Renaissance Warfare. For me the two strongest contenders are Oman (much better prose style than Shaw, who wrote most of the above book after Michael Mallett's death) and F L Taylor's The Art of War in Italy 1494-1529. Despite both books being pre-War they do not appear to have been bettered. I would strongly recommend that you take a look at these two sites, which I have bookmarked:

http://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/

http://thegreatitalianwars.blogspot.co.uk/

Stuart is fascinated by Henry VIII's campaign in France 1512-13, and he has modelled some absolutely beautiful 28mm figures for it. These have given me a real insight into what the French and English armies looked like at this time (particularly the French mounted archers who fought dismounted and dressed very similarly to English archers but in the then colours of Louis XII). Pete Smith, who also sells his own flags on Ebay (search for petesflags) is interested in the wider Italian Wars. Although his latest post is last August, it is very interesting as it is his 15mm interpretation of Venetian gendarmes and spear armed pavisiers. Although Pete's Flags are sold in 28mm and 15mm they can be resized for 10mm if you have the right equipment.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

d_Guy

Thanks for that, Leman, very useful comments and appreciate the links. Battle of the Spurs would be interesting particular if you did a "what if" and got the foot heavily involved.

Leman

Indeed, Stuart reckons the Francs Archers stationed in north-west France, of whom many were armed with pike, halberd and arquebus as well as those with crossbows and longbows, were a cut above the usual and were well capable of putting up a good fight.

d_Guy

I'd mentioned to Techno sometime back that I had a hamstring sprain but after a few days I was relatively OK and this past Monday I was carrying a heavy box upstairs for my wife and at the top tripped forward. The result was a hyperextension of the same hamstring AND a sprained hip (which is arthritic anyway). I am now on two weeks of bed (or recliner) rest with my new friend, an ice pack. I will then get several weeks of PT.

I can only stand to sit in a chair for brief periods so painting and gaming are intermittent. Thursday I was able to clean up fifty-four figures for painting, Friday got them organized and on their painting sticks and today they got acrylic burnt umber primer/base coat (which I brush on). Now my butt hurts.

paulr

B*gg*r, I hope the recovery goes smoothly and as rapidly as possible
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Sorry to hear that. Hope recovery is as swift as possible.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Westmarcher

Quote from: d_Guy on 15 June 2019, 06:32:23 PM
I can only stand to sit in a chair for brief periods so painting and gaming are intermittent. Thursday I was able to clean up fifty-four figures for painting, Friday got them organized and on their painting sticks and today they got acrylic burnt umber primer/base coat (which I brush on). Now my butt hurts.

Whit? Stand to sit? Sounds like the Glasgow clippie* who said to the perplexed drunk who tried to get on to the tram, "C'mon, get aff!" (Come on, get off).  :P

Seriously, what bad luck! Mind you, at least you're still managing to do some good hobby stuff. All the best, for a speedy recovery.

* a "clippie" is the lady - sometimes, a guy - who used to take the fares on the trams.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Westie, how old are you? You sound like Techno's slightly younger brother.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Awww, Bill....

Hope that the hamstring and hip recover as soon as possible !

The joys of advancing years, seem to affect a lot of our esteemed colleagues on the forum nowadays. :(

Get better soon, Matey.

Best wishes - Phil

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 16 June 2019, 06:42:23 AM

Westie, how old are you? You sound like Techno's slightly younger brother.

:P

Not far off, actually ...  :-[  (but still to collect my Old Age Pension). I can vaguely remember the last of the trams in my childhood home town of Paisley and, in later years, being very wary of getting the wheels of my bike stuck in the tram lines that continued to run through the cobbled streets before their eventual removal. In recent years, I discovered that my late mother-in-law was a clippie on the trams for a while and she loved it. She was a wee feisty but friendly woman and despite her size, if you gave her any cheek or bother, she would have had you off the tram before you got to the next stop!  ;D   

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

We have come to rue the day we got rid of trams, but now they are being restored - to my knowledge apart from Blackpool (which never lost them) they have been reinstated in Manchester, Sheffield, Wolverhampton, Nottingham and Croydon. does anyone know of anywhere else? We very nearly got them back in Liverpool but then the council got cold feet.

Sorry to hear about your trip Bill. Hope all is well soon.