d’guy’s all new and totally improved 2019 painting diary

Started by d_Guy, 11 February 2019, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipt

You can get real chain, used for model ships.  Very small.

Ithoriel

I like them as is. I think the cocktail sticks work well and if the "chains" are a little overscale I think the effect is very pleasing.

But that's just my two penn'orth!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

I agree Westie, the original concept was to paint the bottom half black, but as with the chain, simply not working. Happily the trails are easily detached. In fact have already removed.  :)

Kipt, thanks also. I had searched for miniature chain and went into the world of jewelry! Will try ship modeling.

Sleep with clean hands ...

d_Guy

Thanks, Ithoriel. I posted over top of your reply. I appreciate your opinion as you can see the concept. This is one of those times, however, where the image in one's head did not execute properly. For the moment they will pull the guns absent trails.

The killer in this was that my wife thought they looked like "cow-sickles".  :(   ;D

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D

Bill......The '"dog's".......refers to a certain, tender, part of a male dog's anatomy. (The dog's b*llocks is the full 'term')

I think it's a variation on the "bee's knees"......But why either of those phrases mean something really good, is beyond me.  ;D

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Quote from: d_Guy on 09 June 2019, 11:41:55 PM
I agree Westie, the original concept was to paint the bottom half black, but as with the chain, simply not working.

That sounded like a good idea to help disguise them (pity it didn't work when you tried it). Before trying the commercial market, I had the idea of using some ornate wire that was wrapped around a wine bottle in a mesh but never tried it out in practice. The advantage of this is that if it doesn't work, at least you had a nice bottle of wine to drink! What about straightening out a wire paper clip and cutting it to the desired length (and, of course, painting it)?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 10 June 2019, 06:55:24 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D

Bill......The '"dog's".......refers to a certain, tender, part of a male dog's anatomy. (The dog's b*llocks is the full 'term')

I think it's a variation on the "bee's knees"......But why either of those phrases mean something really good, is beyond me.  ;D

Cheers - Phil

"It's the bee's knees" = "It's the business"

But as to "the mutt's nuts" ... I've no idea :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Thanks, Mike !  :)

Yes....Now you've said that.....The 'bizz-ness' does ring a bell.

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Ox train 1.01:

Switched down to 1/32" brass rod to improve proportions.
I did find 0.8mm metal chain (thanks again, Kipt)  and the wine wire and florists wire are both good ideas.
In my concept the whole assembly has to be rigid since all the weight has to be carried by the oxen models in front. This allows them to be assembled in infinite ways.  I now have an Ox Train 2.0 design that I will try on the next batch. Continue to appreciate the denizens of this forum!

So, basically Bowser Balls.  :D

Techno

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Leman

Two countries divided by the same language - dogs are particularly fond of cleaning that part of their anatomy and it seems to bring them great pleasure - this seems to explain the saying.  :o
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!