d’guy’s all new and totally improved 2019 painting diary

Started by d_Guy, 11 February 2019, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Superb, all the pageantry on display!

The black edging on the flags really makes them pop, I may have to steal that technique!  :D

d_Guy

Thanks, mmcv. There have been discussions various places about the black edging. Others (PaulR and Pierre-the-shy come to mind) edge with the base color of the flag which looks really good. While I made a few of the flags, the bulk are made from the Pendraken Flodden four sheet set.
Sleep with clean hands ...

mmcv

Yeah I've been edging with the base colour as well. My folding and sticking isn't always the neatest mind you, so black might neaten it up more.

d_Guy

I use a black felt-tip brush - use the edge only. It is quick and easy and I attribute my mistakes to shot or arrow holes!  :)

Thanks also Leman and Mr. Lemmy. Flodden is weird battle - part medieval, part renaissance. It the gateway drug  to a whole new century of warfare for me, I think.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: d_Guy on 24 May 2019, 06:59:40 PM
I use a black felt-tip brush - use the edge only. It is quick and easy and I attribute my mistakes to shot or arrow holes!  :)

Thanks also Leman and Mr. Lemmy. Flodden is weird battle - part medieval, part renaissance. It the gateway drug  to a whole new century of warfare for me, I think.

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended)

Techno

Belting work, Bill  :-bd

They look stonking !!

Cheers - Phil

jambo1

Terry37

Very, very nice Bill. At some point ....maybe, I'll get my armies of he period painted????? Yours are very inspiring though!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Terry, thanks so much. I bought the Pendraken starter Armies for Flodden then two already painted armies on EBay. I've mentioned that I didn't like the way these last were painted and ended up repainting the entirety of both. The only time savings was I didn't have to prime them! Expensive lesson. Have also now added in most of starter packs as well to get the numbers I wanted.
Going originally with the over-sized flags for the Scots an they all had to be re-flagged. I am at least now starting to like the looks of them.

d_Guy

Getting back into painting more and just finished up a flock of small bases to represent both fractional units and special purposes units for my messing around with the Flodden period. These take smaller, detachable flags, in this case to represent the Scottish factions taking place in the Battle of Linlithgow Bridge (1526).

The Lennox faction:

The Douglas/Howard faction:

In the left foreground is a timber barricade (obviously made of toothpicks) for the Linlithgow Bridge. The three rows behind the Douglas faction (heart) flag are for use elsewhere.

fsn

Right. I'm new to the period, but why are the top bunch running under the Irish flag, and a section fo the lower photo appear to be Japanese.   :P

(Still waiting for the book you suggested.  :-[ )
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

;D at a distance they might also be taken as Spanish!
Yes, Lemmy has it.

The St Patrick's cross flag is actually an abbreviation of the Lennox arms with the red rose in each quadrant omitted. 
At least one illustration in the book you are awaiting (The Heart and The Rose), shows a Lennox soldier wearing the same as a badge.
In fact when you see the map illustrations it will become obvious why I'm using faction flags.  :)

Techno