d’guy’s all new and totally improved 2019 painting diary

Started by d_Guy, 11 February 2019, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

fsn

D'Guy can use apostrophe's in a thread's tit'le.  :o :o :o :o

Truly he is the favoured of the Dark One.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald: 2024 - Silver Medal (Cavalry)
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 11 February 2019, 07:49:22 AM
D'Guy can use apostrophe's in a thread's tit'le.  :o :o :o :o

Eh !!

Why's that then ?....If you're telling porkies, Nobby.....
Oh well...I'll find out when I press 'post'

Cheers - Puzzled of Wales

Techno

I don't understand. :o

(No change there, then.) :'( :'(

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

I think the crafty chap has used a different apostrophe character to the usual one. ' will still fail but ' is fine.

d_Guy

I can take no credit. OldenBUA discovered it (or prehapes made it happen). Leon has elsewhere announce the forum being upgraded.
Check Techno's "Just Testing" thread.
@mmcv - I tried every escape character and alternate character I could think of and never had success - this is a programming change.

d_Guy

My recent "Tartan" thread was poorly conceived and even more poorly executed. I appreciate all the participants, but let me explain what I am trying to do.

I have commissioned Techno (and Pendraken has signed on as well) to produce +/- ten figures to cover roughly 1500 - 1620 (and likely latter) the Scottish highlands, Islands and Ireland. Four gallowglass and four kern/bonnacht figures already exist and I want to add several more. To some of these I want to add a folded blanket (plaid if you wish) that if desired can be painted as "tartan".

The Irish in the later stages of Tyrone's Rebellion had also organized into musket & pike units so I want to have done a couple pikemen and musketeers in the more traditional dress of the kern/bonnacht, as well.

My question remains to those doing or interested in this period and region, would you be inclined to add tartan to the figures?

I realize my painting threads do not get a high volume of views so please tell your friends.  :)

fred.

I like the sound of those figures.

I would add some crossed line patterns to figures, but probably not full on tartan. But in 10mm you can get away with an impressionistic approach anyway.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

Quote from: d_Guy on 11 February 2019, 07:06:47 PM

My question remains to those doing or interested in this period and region, would you be inclined to add tartan to the figures?

Thinking that chequered (or early tartan, if you like) patterns existed in the Ancient Celtic world, I would say, why not? So I googled this and found out that well-preserved textiles were discovered at the Hallstatt salt mines in Austria which demonstrated that tartan was in fashion in the Celtic world of Central Europe in the 8th-6th centuries BC. As regards early evidence of a tartan like pattern in Scotland, here's a link to the Falkirk tartan.   :-B

http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/results.php?QUICKSEARCH=1&search_term=falkirk+tartan
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

Thanks, Fred

Right now two of the gallowglass figures have a "plaid" suggested. This could be painted as a plain twill, a typical "saffron" or a tartan pattern. One would wear mail, the other an aketon/gabeson. This would give many painting posibilities.

d_Guy

Thanks also, Westie
The Falkirk and Hallstatt were what I was thinking of when I did some of my Flodden figures. Thanks for the Falkirk link.
The twill weave is apparently one of the characteristics of "Celtic" fabric and even with two colors can produce many interesting patterns.

Terry37

Bill, in answer to your question re adding tartan. The answer for me is yes. If that's what was worn, then I'd have to go for it. However, keep in mind the tartans at that time were nothing like we think of tartan today. I see it as very subtle earthy colors, such as grays, browns and tans, with maybe some red or green mixed in or as an occasional base color. Red and black checked is considered the Rob Roy/Macgregor tartan, but here we're talking 1671-1734. You can also consider stripes as tartan, and I would suspect/expect wide stripes. This site may be of help.

http://www.frockflicks.com/the-real-deal-on-tartan-kilts-and-outlander-costumes/

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

It is an embarrassment to add a diary thread each year and then forget to use or even look at it.
Thanks for that link Terry!

fsn's recent "What Next" thread reminded me I should put up something on my current Flodden project.

Here are the English northern levies:

Several forumites have already seen the summary post at d_blog but here is the link:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2019/05/20/finishing-up-the-flodden-armies/

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner