Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
21 May 2019, 07:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've purchased the Castle Arts buildings range!
276286 Posts in 16501 Topics by 2183 Members
Latest Member: Steven M.K.
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Painting & Modelling
| | |-+  Painting Diaries (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | | |-+  d’guy’s all new and totally improved 2019 painting diary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: d’guy’s all new and totally improved 2019 painting diary  (Read 482 times)
d_Guy
Major General

« on: 11 February 2019, 02:00:11 AM »

Pendraken, always striving for improvement!

http://inredcoatragsattired.com
Disputatio stellas lucra
“The effect of their shooting was to affect their morale.” -Leman
fsn
General

« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2019, 07:49:22 AM »

D'Guy can use apostrophe's in a thread's tit'le.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Truly he is the favoured of the Dark One.

Lord Oik of Runcorn
(You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013
Oik of the Year 2014
Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!

15mm is dead. It just doesn't know it yet.
Techno
Count

« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2019, 10:35:09 AM »

D'Guy can use apostrophe's in a thread's tit'le.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Eh !!

Why's that then ?....If you're telling porkies, Nobby.....
Oh well...I'll find out when I press 'post'

Cheers - Puzzled of Wales

FSN IS an oik...I wonder when he'll change his signature again . :-)
Techno....AND STILL.....The most picked on member of the forum since 2011
Techno
Count

« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2019, 10:37:25 AM »

I don't understand. Shocked

(No change there, then.) Cry Cry

Cheers - Phil

FSN IS an oik...I wonder when he'll change his signature again . :-)
Techno....AND STILL.....The most picked on member of the forum since 2011
mmcv
Captain

« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2019, 10:57:23 AM »

I think the crafty chap has used a different apostrophe character to the usual one. ' will still fail but ’ is fine.
d_Guy
Major General

« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2019, 05:09:58 PM »

I can take no credit. OldenBUA discovered it (or prehapes made it happen). Leon has elsewhere announce the forum being upgraded.
Check Techno’s “Just Testing” thread.
@mmcv - I tried every escape character and alternate character I could think of and never had success - this is a programming change.

Disputatio stellas lucra
d_Guy
Major General

« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2019, 07:06:47 PM »

My recent “Tartan” thread was poorly conceived and even more poorly executed. I appreciate all the participants, but let me explain what I am trying to do.

I have commissioned Techno (and Pendraken has signed on as well) to produce +/- ten figures to cover roughly 1500 - 1620 (and likely latter) the Scottish highlands, Islands and Ireland. Four gallowglass and four kern/bonnacht figures already exist and I want to add several more. To some of these I want to add a folded blanket (plaid if you wish) that if desired can be painted as “tartan”.

The Irish in the later stages of Tyrone’s Rebellion had also organized into musket & pike units so I want to have done a couple pikemen and musketeers in the more traditional dress of the kern/bonnacht, as well.

My question remains to those doing or interested in this period and region, would you be inclined to add tartan to the figures?

I realize my painting threads do not get a high volume of views so please tell your friends.  Smiley

« Last Edit: 11 February 2019, 07:12:38 PM by d_Guy » Logged

Disputatio stellas lucra
fred.
Major General

« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2019, 07:24:55 PM »

I like the sound of those figures.

I would add some crossed line patterns to figures, but probably not full on tartan. But in 10mm you can get away with an impressionistic approach anyway.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!
Westmarcher
Brigadier

Sir Oik of Westmarch

« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2019, 08:15:02 PM »

My question remains to those doing or interested in this period and region, would you be inclined to add tartan to the figures?

Thinking that chequered (or early tartan, if you like) patterns existed in the Ancient Celtic world, I would say, why not? So I googled this and found out that well-preserved textiles were discovered at the Hallstatt salt mines in Austria which demonstrated that tartan was in fashion in the Celtic world of Central Europe in the 8th-6th centuries BC. As regards early evidence of a tartan like pattern in Scotland, here's a link to the Falkirk tartan.   Nerd

http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/results.php?QUICKSEARCH=1&search_term=falkirk+tartan

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
d_Guy
Major General

« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2019, 08:15:26 PM »

Thanks, Fred

Right now two of the gallowglass figures have a “plaid” suggested. This could be painted as a plain twill, a typical “saffron” or a tartan pattern. One would wear mail, the other an aketon/gabeson. This would give many painting posibilities.

Disputatio stellas lucra
d_Guy
Major General

« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2019, 08:20:25 PM »

Thanks also, Westie
The Falkirk and Hallstatt were what I was thinking of when I did some of my Flodden figures. Thanks for the Falkirk link.
The twill weave is apparently one of the characteristics of “Celtic” fabric and even with two colors can produce many interesting patterns.

Disputatio stellas lucra
Terry37
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2019, 03:51:42 AM »

Bill, in answer to your question re adding tartan. The answer for me is yes. If that's what was worn, then I'd have to go for it. However, keep in mind the tartans at that time were nothing like we think of tartan today. I see it as very subtle earthy colors, such as grays, browns and tans, with maybe some red or green mixed in or as an occasional base color. Red and black checked is considered the Rob Roy/Macgregor tartan, but here we're talking 1671-1734. You can also consider stripes as tartan, and I would suspect/expect wide stripes. This site may be of help.

http://www.frockflicks.com/the-real-deal-on-tartan-kilts-and-outlander-costumes/

Terry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: