Started by d_Guy, 11 February 2019, 02:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Wow! Look great to me Bill!!! makes me want to get started on my Henry VIII army!!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

pierre the shy

Those look very nice Bill.

Can you use your Flodden stuff for other mid C16 Scots/English battles like Pinkie and Carberry Hill (OK thats a Scots v Scots one  ;) and is more of a skirmish than a full scale battle).

Been reading a copy of "Killing Fields of Scotland AD83 to 1746" by R J M Pugh that Roy found in a booksale for $2. It goes into quite a lot of detail for C16 and C17 battles on Scots soil. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

Thanks again gentlemen all.

Peter, yes, I want to do things other than Flodden and the current project is in the book I mentioned to fsn (above), the Scots v Scots Battle of Linlithgow Bridge (1526). Part of the reason for doing those smaller bases is to be able to change the weapons mix (notably adding firearms) as the century advances. Solway Moss and Pinkie (two more Scottish disasters, fsn  :(  )are good possibilities but about 25% of my Scots have pavise which really don't look right except at Flodden. Of course I have some of my Scottish aristocracy in Agincourt period armor so if it isn't one thing it's another.  :)

Thanks for the book reference, I'll take a gander.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

mmcv

Excellent work! When you say detachable flags, do you just slot the flags on rather than gluing them to the pole so they can be lifted off, of have you some sort of clever drilling or fitting system for swapping out flags?

d_Guy

Nothing elaborate on the flags. I use a film of white glue, keeping the area around the pole clear, fold the flag and add the "waves" then carefully work the flag of the pole to dry. This makes exchanging flags really easy.

mmcv

Interesting, I had tried similar before forming them round a thin rod but they tended to be a bit too loose when attached. I suspect the rod was a little thicker than the pole, but I didn't strictly need interchangeable flags so didn't experiment any further. One for the future.

d_Guy

@MMVC
I pinch the flag into the pole as close as I can. Often after it drys it may gap open more. When that happens I work a small amount of glue and re-pinch until it closes.

Here is a tentative setup for Linlithgow Bridge based on Jonathan Cooper's excellent book:

A green on green checked bedspread?? Yup, making into a board game (sort of).

Techno

Westmarcher

Only now catching up on the last few days' posts. Great stuff, Bill!  If I ever need to know more about this period of my country's history, I'm think you're the man to go to! :-bd

p.s. And what a great idea for a playing surface - if you ever get fed up with the war game itself, you can have a game of 'squares' (!)  :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

Thanks Techno!

Westie, I would call on you for same regarding the civil war in my country!
I couldn't help myself, I saw the checked cloth and just had to give it a try, 😀

d_Guy

Cry, Awa, and unleash the oxen of war!

First step in making some gun transport for Flodden, pairs of NML19 getting yokes and trails:

Note to fsn - have yet to find BW26, like the bulk of these fellows better I think.

Anyone have an idea on color? I've seen both bay and black. An illustration at the Flodden visitor's center has teams pulling a gun during the battle as Guernsey pattern.

fsn

I like the cut of your jib, young d_Guy.

It's the yolking that irks me. I do like the way you've done those, though.  :)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!