Storage 10mm

Started by MAgamer, 06 February 2019, 09:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAgamer

As I am now reaching the 8th Brigade worth of Napoleonic 10mm pendraken figs finishes (there will be 12 brigades when I finish the project- painting both sides for General D'armee) I have started to reach the point where I need to solve the issue of storage. I live in a flat in London, so space is a minimum and I already have to store all the terrain, paints, buildings, materials etc on one spare shelf. Now I have seen the 'really useful boxes' etc but I am a bit put off by having to spend a decent stack of cash on something no-one but the inside of the cupboard door will see. The hobby isn't cheap (neither should it be, with the skill and passion put into the products) so I'm out for sneaky savings and a bit of my own elbow grease when it comes to the storage side of things if I can manage it.  My solution? I was thinking pizza boxes. I can probably ask the local takeaway for a couple and with the odds and ends of pvc board I have left over from terrain, I could make rows inside the box with a glue gun to keep things organised and offer a little structure to the lid so as to make them stackable. Has anyone tried this? What are your cheap storage solutions? I reckon roughly 3/4 12" pizza boxes might just do it and all fit on the one shelf worth of space I need to get it all into. Any thoughts or alternatives offered would be greatly appreciated!
Note: no matter how well painted, Pendraken Miniatures are not edible.
Happy gaming
MA

fsn

Quote from: MAgamer on 06 February 2019, 09:02:54 PM
As I am now reaching the 8th Brigade worth of Napoleonic 10mm pendraken figs finishes (there will be 12 brigades when I finish the project- painting both sides for General D'armee)
Wait ...

Finish a project?

Is that possible?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

Thorntons get their chocolates delivered in very shallow boxes (lid and base). It's lots of shallow boxes that you want.

fred.

Shallow boxes are good for 10mm, to save on vertical height.

Pizza boxes are certainly worth a try, I've heard of people using them. I'd probably go for fairly small ones, so that they don't bend in the middle.

I use box files for a lot of my figures, and then put a shelf in the middle so that I can get two layers of figures in.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

Lengthy thread here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17828.15.html

I mentioned Pizza Boxes in reply 22.
It includes a link to a supplier (with different sizes).

Worth reading the whole thread where pros, cons and work-arounds of different solutions are aired in full.

Orcs

I appreciate the cost of really useful boxes, but they  store the figures well. After all he expense of buying the army an terrain and the effort of painting it all, do you really want to save a few quid and risk your models in pizza boxes?

You can maximise the space by getting 4l and 9 L really useful boxes and buying tray inserts from Commission Figurines.  He will do them at different depths.
I base my WSS on 20x 20mm bases  (4 infantry of 2 cavalry).

The RUB trays have 15 compartmnts  60 x 60mm I can get 1080 infantry in a single 4 L box with two trays.  Cost is about a tenner or 1p per figure storage.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Cavillarius

I strongly agree with Orcs: after putting so much love into painting and basing you minis, it pays to protect them well. I recently bought 5 RUBs of 4l, and I'm awaiting my trays from commission.

John Cook

fsn

I use the 9l mostly., but some 4l.

My annoyance with RUB is that they don't still heterogeneous sizes. Would be really, really useful if a 2x4l had the same footprint as the 9l so you could mix.

But you can't.

As a certain Danish prince would have it "there's the RUB."

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Last Hussar

Quote from: fsn on 07 February 2019, 07:38:03 AM
I use the 9l mostly., but some 4l.

My annoyance with RUB is that they don't still heterogeneous sizes. Would be really, really useful if a 2x4l had the same footprint as the 9l so you could mix.

But you can't.

The 4 and 9 litre are the same footprint, just differ in height.

It pains me to say this, but I agree with Orcs. Stopped clock and all that.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 07 February 2019, 07:38:03 AM

No, no, no, Nobby.....That's the title of a Wishbone Ash album.

I wish you lot would concentrate. ;) :P

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Do a lot of bowling, Wishbone Ash, did they?

Techno

Look up the 'cover' of that album, Nobby ;)

You're SO very close.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

(I used to be able to play some/a lot of the guitar 'riffs' from their albums......I wouldn't be able to do that now.)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Techno

Bog off.....You OIK !!  ;) :P

Cheers - Mr Guitar Hero.....(What does top 'E' sound like ?.....Oh yeah..... I remember....and I really can, you know...Very sad  X_X.)