Base sizes for tanks

Started by Sean Clark, 06 February 2019, 10:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

Apologies if this has come up before but Im about to work out an order for bases having ran out for my infantry.

I am playing early war, 1939/1940 so will in the main be using smaller tanks such as Pz 1,2,3 and StuG's. I don't have any as yet to measure as I only have a few A/C's for my first couple of games.

What size MDF are people using for theirs?
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

petercooman

I use 50 x 30 for bkcII

Example pictures can be found here:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,7834.0.html

The smaller thinghs (like the armored car in the pictures) look a bit small on the bases so can easily go on a 50 x 25, or just add two to a base!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If you use 30x30 then they can be used for BKC and Spearhead. For lower level rules I dont  base.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

We use 30mm frontage for all vehicles, with whatever depth is needed for that vehicle.

As Ian says you do not need to base, but we do as it keeps them apart in the box.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

I don't base my vehicles, other than motorcycles, which go on a 25mm square base.

Ithoriel

To me based infantry and unbased vehicles looks odd so I base everything.

I use 40x20mm bases for infantry and heavy weapons.

For tanks and guns I use 20x40mm bases wherever possible but bigger items just go on a base a few mills bigger than the model.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Quote from: Orcs on 06 February 2019, 11:20:07 AM
We use 30mm frontage for all vehicles, with whatever depth is needed for that vehicle.

As Ian says you do not need to base, but we do as it keeps them apart in the box.
What he said. I tend to base infantry on a 30x30, so it keeps everything consistent.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

I base every unit on a 30mm frontage for bkc in 10mm. That way you tend to have the same number of units across a given frontage regardless of type or nationality. Depth is to fit as required.

Sunray

Quote from: Steve J on 06 February 2019, 11:20:59 AM
I don't base my vehicles, other than motorcycles, which go on a 25mm square base.

Ditto.  I have returned to 'unbased' vehicles.  I base figures on plastic card so to keep the heights with AFVs looking right.

Its a matter of personal preference.

Raider4

I have some early war vehicles - Matilda I, T-26, Morris armoured car - and they all fit nicely on a 40x20 mm base.

Like others, I'm going off bases for vehicles - don't think I'll use them for my (much larger) cold war tanks.

fsn

I'm a convert to the base.

No a fully fledged paid up acolyte who puts logs and walls and lamposts and "Charles II hiding in the Oak Tree" on a base, but I have come to appreciate the benefits of a good bottom.

Firstly, the base (and I use some big ones for modern tanks) protects the model when in storage. I try and make sure the gun barrel will be safe, either with turret forward or reversed.

Secondly, I do try (and it's not always possible) to pick up the base rather than the model.  Less sweat, oil and strawberry jam on the hull of your favourite tank.

Thirdly, basing the vehciles the same was as the PBI and the gunners and the Ruperts does give a homogeneous appearance.

There. Didin't mention the Centurion once!

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

I base with heavy artist card and just use a couple of basic sizes, but basically I am looking to add around 5mm to either side of the tank and lengthwise, i have the tank kissing the front edge of the base, with 5mm to the rear, so that I can show the ground churned up by the tracks.

Sean Clark

Thanks chaps. I agree that there is a discussion to be had about whether to base or not. I am on the side of basing my vehicles for all the reasons described. My rules of choice are I Aint Been Shot Mum but the new BKC command will certainly be of interest when it is released.
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

60 x 30 usually fits most, smaller go on 50 x 25mm
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

John Cook

25mm x 40mm for a single vehicle.