New Ancient Greeks!

Started by Leon, 01 February 2019, 10:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

02 February 2019, 03:08:39 PM #16 Last Edit: 02 February 2019, 03:10:43 PM by Raider4
Quote from: Leman on 02 February 2019, 01:24:15 PM
Maybe when a new range is being planned it might be an idea to solicit ideas from the forum members first so that the OCD perfectionists can get their ideas in first and thus  avoid this sort of scenario in future. Personally I'm far more interested in Hellenistics than Classicals.

Hah, you ask 5 wargamers what they want, you'll get back at 8 least different answers, all of which are totally contradictory, and non of which are even remotely commercial.

Orcs

Quote from: Raider4 on 02 February 2019, 03:08:39 PM
Hah, you ask 5 wargamers what they want, you'll get back at 8 least different answers, all of which are totally contradictory, and non of which are even remotely commercial.

Only 8 different  answers? :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Still, having had the opportunity to give some input they can't moan later. And if they do then mummy and daddy did a lousy job in teaching good manners.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

I've been away form Ancients for about a decade.
It's the acronyms that confuse me.

More abbreviations than the modern Military.

fsn

03 February 2019, 11:08:28 AM #20 Last Edit: 03 February 2019, 11:10:29 AM by fsn
I don't think the comments come from a bad place; just a desire to see a good product.

The Greek shield was huge. It covered both the man and half the man next to him - it defined the Hoplite. In these figures, the shield is too small.

The standard of figures from Techno, and Pendraken generally, is improving all the time. I have waxed lyrical about the Korean range, and the new Napoleonics are excellent.

What I should have said is how much I like the light troops - the archers especially. I'm not a big user of Greek cavalry, but I shall be getting some of those Thessalian lights , and the command figures have personality.

Just a few tweaks required.  

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leman on 02 February 2019, 05:19:07 PM
Still, having had the opportunity to give some input they can't moan later. And if they do then mummy and daddy did a lousy job in teaching good manners.

Imagine the problem if Bricoles had been involved.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fsn on 03 February 2019, 11:08:28 AM
I don't think the comments come from a bad place; just a desire to see a good product.

The Greek shield was huge. It covered both the man and half the man next to him - it defined the Hoplite. In these figures, the shield is too small.

The standard of figures from Techno, and Pendraken generally, is improving all the time. I have waxed lyrical about the Korean range, and the new Napoleonics are excellent.

What I should have said is how much I like the light troops - the archers especially. I'm not a big user of Greek cavalry, but I shall be getting some of those Thessalian lights , and the command figures have personality.

Just a few tweaks required.  

Not one of the original critice, but I didn't see them posted in a negative manner.

One of the great advantages of new technologies like the Internet is the ability to quickly reach customers.
For some this simply means flogging a lot of units and paying their tax in Luxembourg.

Those of us involved in delivering something tangible have other advantages.
The product can be market tested at very early stages of development, and re-worked on the basis of testing and customer feedback.
It's generally accepted that changes are cheaper and quicker if applied early in the development process.

With this in mind, I saw the feedback as (This is going to sound terribly "big business") an opportunity to please the customer.

My disclaimer is that a few years ago, I made a shift from gaming periods that I found most interesting, to ones that provided a satisfying game.
I therefore have various partly complete armies which may or may not be completely accurate - and I'm not massively bothered by that.

I'd further suggest that we've all been there.
My Napoleonic dragoons were supposed to have different pocket orientations depending on their regiment number.
Could I find a manufacturer who made the range with vertical, horizontal and diagonal pockets? No.
But I digress.

I know there's a classical warfare Osprey due for release.
If the rules tick the necessary boxes, I'll be looking for figures, and it will most likely be this range.
Thank you to all involved in their creation.

Zippee

As one of those 'critics' I can assure you the comments are made with the very best interests of PD at heart.

Far better to hear feedback at this stage of the process than post production - to be honest I thought much of the reason for posting 'greens' is to solicit exactly that sort of comment from the internet intelligentsia  :D

And you'll note this hasn't been the type of wargamer inbred opinion argument based on hand-me-down BS pseudo-fact like Nap British fired 30 shots per minute. In fact it hasn't been an argument as no-one has jumped up and said 'no the shields are just right, look . . ." It's just a handful of people trying to be helpful.

To be honest I don't really understand why anyone would sneer at people offering advice and comment in a polite and positive fashion. Its as if the desire to improve the product was somehow seen as elitist and a sign of the commentators' mental illness. I'd have thought it basic good manners and courtesy. I mean what is the point of feedback that says "yeah those are nice" whilst not mentioning: except the shields are far too small / the helmets are 100 years out of date / that AFV had wheels not tracks / etc.

Of course being a jerk is being a jerk and being an unknowledgeable and incorrect jerk, loudly in public is just obnoxious. I see none of that here..

Techno

No...Zippee....

Proper helpful critiques are fine....(I truly don't feel insulted by those, at ll).....But when, as a designer, you're only able to charge 3 or 4 Pounds per hour....(And that's not because Leon's some sort of tight wad....He's not.)

I just lose the will to live...;.....Twenty years ago, I got paid a decent 'going rate'.....I don't make nearly a quarter/third of that rate, now.......So a lot of the time I don't know why I bother.

I can't make something that Michael Angelo might have made and charge 'Jack Poop'.

Every time Leon has to increase his prices,  that's down to increases in postage charges....the price that he has to buy 'white metal' or the rubber for the moulds......NEVER because myself, Clibby and 'Mr X ' have said...."We want  some more dosh."

Can you tell that 'I've reached the end of my tether ?'

Leman

I think folk have misunderstood the point I was trying to make -i.e. the input from the forum would be more helpful if it went in before the figures are designed, e.g we are planning to remodel the range of ancient Greeks. Anything we need to know/bear in mind before we start? Please input your ideas before the ....th of ........ Many thanks.

Responses: Don't forget that the hoplite's shield is huge covering from the neck to mid thigh. It was also held towards the left so that in a phalanx the left of the shield would cover the right of the next hoplite along.

......and so on. If people are keen on a new range and knowledgeable about it they would be only too willing, it would appear, to contribute their thoughts.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Time for me to apologise for going completely off on one, the other day.

Sorry.....I won't bore everybody will excuses......I'm just so bloody stressed at the mo'.
The Greeks going to need 'tweaking' was the straw that broke the camel's back......Especially as they weren't the simplest models to make, in the first place.

Sorry, again.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Quote from: Techno on 04 February 2019, 01:29:51 PM
Time for me to apologise for going completely off on one, the other day.

I don't think any apologies are needed Phil. Life is obviously pretty tough right now on several fronts. All the angst and frustration has to come out somewhere or you go mad!

I like to think this is a safer place to vent feelings than many.

So, chin up matey!

I'd point out that pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel but in my experience it just turns out to be yet another train going the other way :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Wot the Elf said.

:)

No apologies needed.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner