New Ancient Greeks!

Started by Leon, 01 February 2019, 10:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

01 February 2019, 10:31:21 PM Last Edit: 25 August 2019, 11:26:28 PM by Leon
Once of our big plans for this year is to finish off the revamping and expansion of our Ancients ranges, and with the Dacians/Sarmatians all done last year, we've now moved on to the Greeks!  These will be going into the drawer with the Dacians and we'll look at doing a large Ancients release in a few months time, once the Persians have been done as well.  

In this batch we've got:

Armoured Hoplites (Bronze Cuirass) x 2 / Armoured Hoplites (Linen Cuirass) x 2 / Spartan Hoplites x 2 / Psiloi Archers x 2:
AncGreek1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Psiloi Skirmiishers x 3 / Unarmoured Hoplites x 2 / Peltasts x 3:
AncGreek2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

EDIT:

We've had the shields altered on the Greeks to make them a bit bigger, thanks to Techno for the quick work on these!

AncGreekNewShield1 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

AncGreekNewShield2 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Thessalian Light Cav x 2 / Thessalian Hvy Cavalry x 2 / Greek Light Cavalry x 2:
AncGreek3 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

Mounted General x 1 / Command Group x 3:
AncGreek4 by Leon Pengilley, on Flickr

The sculpting list for the Persians will be going off to Phil this weekend so we'll pop up some pics of those when they arrive at Pendraken HQ next month.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

irregularwars

They are rather splendid - especially the Thessalian  cav which are not available anywhere else.

The shields do look a tad small on the hoplites though. They should be about 100cm diameter shouldn't they? I.e. over half the height of the chap carrying it.

Any more specific details in the ETA? :D
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Fun, but must add my voice to reservations about the shield size.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

I'll see what Leon says about the shields.

If necessary, I'll do them a different way, by making a new 'master' and getting Leon to cast me up a few.

With this lot, I looked at a particular piccy, and basically went on that pic's proportions for the shield.....making my own press flat mould out of 'Instant Mold'.

Is it just the Spartan shields that look a bit small ?.....I made everything the same size.

Cheers - Phil

OldenBUA

A search for 'hoplon' should give some good examples for the shield. Shoulder to mid thigh (or knee) seems common. So these shields are on the small side.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Zippee

02 February 2019, 08:29:29 AM #5 Last Edit: 02 February 2019, 08:31:32 AM by Zippee
That's aspis shield - hoplon is the panoply  :D

Hoplite 01 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

Hoplite 02 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

Hoplite 03 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

Hoplite 04 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

that said there's not that many images of an aspis with anything to easily scale against, above are the best I found with a quick google. I'd agree that the shields in the masters look just a little on the small side - they look earlier than the usual Classical - Persian War/Peloponesian War depictions. Almost like they are missing the rim. They should reach from chin/above shoulder to greave top basically

I'd also add that the hoplite spears look a tad short they should be 8-9 feet long. Overall the impression is rather more of a later Dark Age Germanic shield and spear figure dressed in classical gera - good for the Colosseum perhaps but not for Platea  ;D

Fantastic sculpts, love the Thessalians and the movement n the cavalry in general. Unfortuanetly I am so heavily invested in 15mm after 40 odd years that it would be insance to even think of swapping to 10mm, despite I feel the tug of temptation . . .

mmcv

Very excited!  ;D

I do agree with the others on the shields being a tad small. The sword the unarmoured hoplite is holding seems quite large too, most swords from the period were little more than a long dagger, around the length of your thigh from tip to pommel.

Regardless, excellent work and looking forward to the rest of the ancient ranges!

fsn

02 February 2019, 08:54:15 AM #7 Last Edit: 02 February 2019, 08:58:13 AM by fsn
Have to agree about the aspis. Sorry Techno.

The aspis is not as other shields. The weight (about 16lb) is partially taken on the shoulder, the forearm being used to guide movement.  There is also a distinct rim around the bowl shape.

(Sorry again) Could the spear be looked too? Greek spears were double ended, with the "other" end having a sauroter (butt spike) on it. This shifted the balance point of the spear backwards allowing much more of the spear to be poked at the enemy. Those figures with the spear being used overhand need to have the spear moved forward, at least mid point, but up to 1/3 from the butt end.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Did a bit of checking (I still had my original shield 'master' on the desk) and from what's been said....I should have used the 'next size up' on my 'pastry cutter' circles.

The shield that's on the figures, at the mo', (if my maths is correct) is between 1 and 1.5 mm too small in diameter.

That's a b*gger.....I know when I put that particular size up on the wee figures, I thought, "Ooo..that looks way too big."

Hey Ho..I'll get Leon to send those back once I've got a new shield done.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

SV52

Saw somewhere that the average height for an ancient Greek male was about 162cm (5'4") so a 91cm (3') aspis would look big regardless  :D

Remember not to give the Spartans moustaches  :d
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Techno

Leman

Maybe when a new range is being planned it might be an idea to solicit ideas from the forum members first so that the OCD perfectionists can get their ideas in first and thus  avoid this sort of scenario in future. Personally I'm far more interested in Hellenistics than Classicals.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

With Osprey's Men of Bronze launching this year, these are an excellent addition.