Lighthearted Gaming

Started by pierre the shy, 01 February 2019, 08:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Seeing Terry37's post about the "Snooze Brothers" reminded me of a less than serious gaming moment I had back in the late 1990's.

Rhys and I entered a 15mm DBM doubles event at the NZ Nationals that Easter and we were using a Medieval German city based force (Getting a legal and useful force from the DBM Medieval German list required a PhD  :d Luckily Rhys had one).

We decided in a moment of jovality to call ourselves the "Baden Brothers" and dress up in likeness to Jake and Elwood.

So at 8.30am on the Saturday we turn up at the hall dressed in suits and wearing sunglasses......

We got some pretty weird looks..... 8)  ;D   

Over the four games that weekend we had a lot of fun, my spear "phalanx" ground through everything it faced, but our knights always got toasted so we ended up finishing mid table. Would I do it again? well I'm a bit older now but I will let others decide if I have become any wiser  ;)

So has anyone else had a moment of gaming "madness/levity etc"?

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

I was fifteen at the time, and my opponent was the same, the word is not too strong. We had no idea what a decent set of rules would look like, and access only to trashy Airfix figures. On one occasion we threw everything we had into the mix and made the rules up as we went along. The highlight was the archer who destroyed a JS III with a lucky shot.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

steve_holmes_11

grahambeyrout

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 February 2019, 02:19:01 AM
access only to trashy Airfix figures. On one occasion we threw everything we had into the mix and made the rules up as we went along. The highlight was the archer who destroyed a JS III with a lucky shot.

That brings it all back. My friend and I were 13, we had all our Airfix (I would never call them trashy) on the table using a hotch-potch of rules. We had Robin Hood, ACW, WWII Germans and British, Cowboys and Indians - glorious. In our battle, a tank was also knocked out by an archer, in our case an Indian brave on horseback. Our rules said it  took one turn for the turret to turn through 90 degrees. The Indian just rode round and round the tank in classic Western Movie manner, shooting off a ton of arrows, Each hit was deemed to cause one damage point. The tank could take 20 damage points. Eventually it was destroyed by this single Indian, who was immune because he never stood still long enough for the tank to bring its gun to bear. Stupid, of course it was, but that was how sophisticated were then. We did however decide our rules needed revision. Ah, happy days

Leman

I am seeing that Indian in my mind's eye and laughing my socks off  ;D ;D ;D. Was he by any chance Chief Miroslav Running Fox?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

I am thinking he was no doubtless being Rissaldar Patel V. Chatterjee, BA Bombay College of Commercial Arts (failed).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

mollinary

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Kiwidave

I wore a tabard that matched my Bretonnian general's heraldry at a Warhammer tournamement about 20-25 years ago (4th edition?). Also managed to win Most Sporting Player (if one can 'win' by being nice). Still have both tabard and prize, which was an Orc warlord on a wyvern.

Do it again in a heartbeat :)

Terry37

Trust me, I played with more than a few Airfix figs, but at that the time they only had the WWII Germans, British in Europe and Africa, and then brought out the ACW sets, say early 60's. Home brew rules that were silly back then, but fun for an all night Friday night game.

Pierre, - Love the attire and all i can say is - Snooze Brothers, Blues Brothers or Baden Brothers, they all seem the same to me!  :)

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams