Operation Caesar Augustus - a BKCII AAR

Started by Steve J, 31 January 2019, 03:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedman

Ithoriel

Not a period that appeals but clearly a fun game with a great AAR nonetheless and some excellent photos!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Really enjoyed looking through the AAR and pics, Steve. The interwar period is endlessly fascinating and AVBCW is something that I would definitely do if I lived in the UK. Not only are the OoBs pretty much anything you want but fighting over an area in which you live and work would give wonderful depth to everything.

Amongst your posts I found the google site that Nik Harwood created for your campaigns, which I link here:
https://sites.google.com/site/avbcwstormcloudsgather/
Definitely worth a look.

I'm curious if the appearance of a foreign force (in this case the Italians) would alienate most Britains regardless of faction?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 31 January 2019, 06:01:45 PM
The interwar period is endlessly fascinating and AVBCW is something that I would definitely do if I lived in the UK.

Come, come, Sir. For a man of your calibre surely "The 2nd American Civil War" is but a moment of fancy away? Perhaps the South could rise again? Prohibition causes such civil angst that half the country gets mad drunk and the other half gets mad because it's not allowed to get drunk? Canada would doubtless have to aggressively defend its borders (perhaps with some sort of buffer zone which causes it to skirmish with the Chicago mob) , and Mexico would seek to exact revenge for the many cruelties inflicted upon it by its Northern Neighbour.

Geography, I submit, is not a real obstacle. 

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 31 January 2019, 07:20:52 PM
Come, come, Sir. For a man of your calibre surely "The 2nd American Civil War" is but a moment of fancy away? Perhaps the South could rise again? Prohibition causes such civil angst that half the country gets mad drunk and the other half gets mad because it's not allowed to get drunk? Canada would doubtless have to aggressively defend its borders (perhaps with some sort of buffer zone which causes it to skirmish with the Chicago mob) , and Mexico would seek to exact revenge for the many cruelties inflicted upon it by its Northern Neighbour.

Geography, I submit, is not a real obstacle. 

:)

As we speak, I actually have on painting sticks two squads of modern 15mm US Army (to be done up as Black and Tans) opposing about 25 heavily armed red necks. I will use the excellent Force on Force skirmish rules. This to be set not in the inter-war but circa 2021.  I call the project "embracing the horror". 

Sunjester is doing the whole prohibition thing exceedingly well, http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16818.0.html

As to Mexico - I look to Leman to bring that suggestion to full realization.  ;)

What makes AVBCW fun, I think, is all the emotional connections you over-ponders have that I can't really acquire.

Steve J

Glad you liked it chaps :).

@ Bill
My theory, somewhat backed up by history, is that the fear of Communism has lead Edward VIII to accept help from any quarter, this time in the form of Italian troops from King Victor Emmanuel III. After all Kings have to look after each other ;).

As for doing something similar in America, aside from some good ideas from FSN, you could have:

- Widespread unrest as a result of the Wall street crash, leading to the National Guard being called out etc.
- Industrialists, cattle barons etc protecting the interests with their own private armies.
- Russian incursions into Alaska.

I'm sure there are many more ideas one could come up with. Basically take an idea you like and simply run with it :).

d_Guy

Hi Steve,
I've posted before about labor unrest in the 20s and 30s and the West Virginia Coal Wars which offers some substantial examples.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_coal_wars
The Battle of Blair Mountain remains the  largest civil disturbance since the ACW.
I'd like to do this - but way too many projects (including project embrace the horror).

I like working the Italians in because of their very cute Fiat L3s  :-bd

mmcv

Interesting report, not a period I'm overly familiar with yet but do enjoy these alternative history projects none the less!

Steve J

Sadly Bill we all have too many projects, either on the go or ones we'd like to do :(.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

pierre the shy

Quote from: Steve J on 31 January 2019, 09:56:16 PM
Sadly Bill we all have too many projects, either on the go or ones we'd like to do :(.

Can't disagree with that statement.... ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fsn

Quote from: Steve J on 31 January 2019, 08:37:18 PM
I'm sure there are many more ideas one could come up with. Basically take an idea you like and simply run with it :).

• The Japanese, having seen off the Chinese, turn their attention to the US and land forces in California.
  • The British see a copy of the War Plan Red and burn Washington to the ground ... again.
  • With the US distracted, the Spanish retake Cuba, then are asked to supply aid to parts of Florida
  • The Germans are invited by a cabal headed by Joe Kennedy to send advisers
  • Liberia, seeing the poor treatment of Blacks in America, sets up a safe haven in New York

This is fun!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!