Cruel Seas in 1-600 Scale

Started by Ithoriel, 27 January 2019, 10:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Heh! For the rematch the guy who ran the S38 wants to try out the F-Lighter. 20mm steel armour, 100mm concrete armour, two turrets with either an 88mm AT gun or a 105mm artillery piece in each, two twin 20mm cannon and a 20mm flakvierling. A step up for sure. Hard as nails but slow as a very slow thing when it's slow :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Are they the ones you have to depth charge?

Before I get "funny" remarks.

Wasn't it a tactic with them to scoot by and drop depth charges at minimal depth setting? The resulting explosion attacks the (b)lighters from beneath.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 February 2019, 12:18:29 AM
In Cruel Seas rolling "to hit" uses D10s and the lower you roll the better.

Whereas rolling damage uses D6s and high rolls are better . . .

Urghh. I can't tell you how much I hate this!

Consistency, people. Consistency!

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 18 February 2019, 02:12:44 PM
Are they the ones you have to depth charge?

Before I get "funny" remarks.

Wasn't it a tactic with them to scoot by and drop depth charges at minimal depth setting? The resulting explosion attacks the (b)lighters from beneath.

Yes, those and Siebel Ferries.

Indeed, dropping a well-timed depth charge when closely pursued was a well known, if not frequently used, tactic when dealing with E-boats too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 18 February 2019, 02:34:27 PM
Urghh. I can't tell you how much I hate this!

Consistency, people. Consistency!

Normally I'd be right there with you but for some reason the fact that it's different types of dice means it doesn't grind my gears nearly as much as usual. Odd, I know.

Ithoriel

Latest painted items - still to be varnished.

Final two additions to the German ship roster, a trawler and the F-Lighter already mentioned.

Well, final two until Heroics & Ros are open again, then ... who knows? :D

British stuff plus Stukas and Arados to do in the meantime.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Ithoriel

Still to be varnished but otherwise done.

Three Vosper II (Late) MTBs

Fast and fragile, but I expect to see them on the table regularly.

Just the British Steam Gunboat "Grey Wolf" to go. It's sold as "Grey Goose" (shown below) but everyone does "Grey Goose" due to it's connection to Peter Scott.

Armed with a single 3", two 6pdrs, two twin 20mms , two twin HMGs and a couple of LMGs and with a top speed of around 36 knots she will be a formidable opponent.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Steam Gun Boat itself painted but base still to be finished off, label applied and varnishing done.

First of the Arado 196 floatplanes assembled, based and undercoated.

Eleven torpedo markers created using a Pendraken MDF base chopped into 20mm x 5mm bases with a Tumbling Dice torpedo mounted on it. May prove a little small for our fat fingers. We'll see!

Discovered a pack of H&S LCMs and one of LCAs while looking for something else in the lead pile! A scenario based on Operation Tiger could be in the offing.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Good progress old fiend.
Interesting how these rules and their figures have caught peoples attention, whereas so many other small ship rules have not.
Good marketing or right place and time? Discuss.
Blood Red Skies hasn't done as well to be sure.