Rebels and patriots

Started by Jim Ando, 25 January 2019, 03:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Ando

Hi
Just got the latest osprey rules. They are the last in the rampant series and look to be the best of the lot in my opinion. I'm going to try these out with 28mm acw but I'm also purchasing some pendraken awi as it can work in 10mm aswell. I think that it'll look great in 10mm as you can put multiple figures on a base to represent 1 28mm figure.

Steve J

Glad you liked them Jim as I was very much involved in the playtesting. The AWI range plus the 'Indians' from the FIW range really give you loads of possibilities. My favourite force is the Loyalist Legion and not only because I did the research for it :D.

Jim Ando

Hi
Love the loyalist list. Gives you a bit of everything plus it gives you a chance to paint something that isnt red.

Jim

fred.

Good to hear good things about these rules. What makes them so good?

Do the rules have the Lion Rampant style of fail a command and your turn over, or is it the TMWWBKs style of a failed order only matters for that unit?

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Jim Ando

Hi
They are the natural progression of lion rampant. The order fail rule only stops the unit not the whole force failing. Some units like line infantry van be in small 6 fig units or large 18 fig units now. Morale is slightly different but in a good way. Very pleased with the new set. Might even use some of the rules to change lion rampant.

Jim

Last Hussar

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Jim Ando

Suppose you could. Musket and rifle have the same range but later on when rifled muskets were predominate smoothbore musket armed  troops are classed as poor shots. Ive got sharp practice and these look less fiddly and more playable .

Jim

Steve J

You can go from the FIW through to the ACW and possibly a bit beyond. Basically there's plenty of flexibility in the troop and armaments chocies to cover this wide time frame. Check out the authors Blog for plenty of info on the rules etc:

https://dalauppror.blogspot.com/2019/01/rebels-and-patriots-game-example.html

fred.

Thanks for the info chaps.

Rules ordered. Getting the Osprey rules from Amazon is cheap and convenient. Perhaps too convenient!

Now to think about period. AWI has an appeal due to the nice figures,,,
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

These are really interesting. Looks like they would be a good way to dip your toes into a period to get a feel for it without going all in with a huge army. Added to the wish list!

Jim Ando

Hi

The rampant series us my favorite rules sets. I play at the club and get two cracking games in a night which is two thumbs up for me. You learn one set and more or less you know the core mechanism for all of them. They are also supremely easy to tinker with to use them for bigger battles than skirmishers.
Jim

Last Hussar

Just realised its ACW not AWI. Title confused me
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

steve_holmes_11

You guys, running up my expenses...

Jim Ando

Hi
They cover 1750s to 1860s so i reckon yiu could go 10 years either way. You could do the pony wars easy.

sunjester

My copy on it's way! :)

I'm dusting off my 28mm F&IW in preparation. If I get tempted with any other periods I'll probably go for multi-based 10mm.