Napoleonic Casualties?

Started by Leon, 21 January 2019, 11:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We've asked the sculptor to fit some Napoleonic casualties into the 1809 Naps schedule, so which casualties would you like to see?  He's done a 75% complete casualty dolly, which we'll then add headgear, packs and belts to, to make each type.  So they will be generic in some sense, but the different headgear should cover most of the armies you'll be looking to build.  We can't go into the detail of adding every single type of headgear worn by every nation (regular shako / shako with light plume / shako with voltigeur shako / etc), we're just wanting a good selection to cover 99% of your needs. 

So this is our current list:

Austrian helmet
Bavarian helmet
French shako
British Belgic shako
British/KGL/Hanover stovepipe shako
Prussian covered shako
French bearskin
1809 States bicorne

Any others which you'd like? 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

For a Dark Lord, you're awfully amenable.

I don't use casualty figures myself ... but I can see that list getting awfully long.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

grahambeyrout

Rather than one body with several different versions of headgear, would it not be better to have a few different body positions and NO headgear. The logic being that the shako whatever has been displaced/lost. The basic uniform colouring is enough to  will tell the nationality. 

Norm

I would be OK with some generic stuff, like hatless casualties and smashed in artillery parts etc,

Westmarcher

I wouldn't like it to be too generic. Plus, I also hope they will be designed for wargaming (i.e., no staggering Hollywood theatrics, please) - prone for dead or reclining for wounded positions. However, the odd pose limping away using a musket as a crutch or walking holding an arm might also be good. Omitting back packs would help a more generic look.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Zippee

I think we need mounted as well as foot

The mounted casualty I'd keep to just a dead horse - it's the shabraque that will make them different, long pointed, short and square, etc so not many really, I suspect if you did a British heavy and light and a French heavy and light you'd be just about sorted

For the foot, I'd prefer them mostly face down in the dirt - headgear I think adds character, but can be adjacent or not. And I'd do say 2 for each of the big ranges and 1 for the lesser ranges.

Something like:

French  - shako / bearskin (Grenadier/Guard)
Austrian  - helmet / shako (Hungarian/Grenz)
British  - shako / highland
Prussia - shako / landwehr

Bavaria/Wurttemberg - helmet
Saxony/Hesse - bicorn
Warsaw - czapska

Not sure if Hanoverian/DB/KGL or Nassua 1815 ranges need additional figs or not but I suppose it would be nice to set a precedent of 1 per range as that eventually ads up to a reasonable variety to mix and match from

sultanbev

"Any others which you'd like?  "

Janissary
generic Arab in robe and turban (for any period really)
Austrian grenadier I 'd guess people would also want
If you did the prussian in covered shako and greatcoat, that would cover a lot of nations!

And a generic general in bicorne in heroic dying pose, perhaps with aide holding him up trying to give a sup from a canteen or something like that. (We'd like dead general markers)

Mark

Last Hussar

There is a dead horse pack somewhere.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leon

For mounted figures we've got the NPX1 code which is a horse casualty.  I'm not sure if it's viable to change the shabraques and do multiples of them though?

The casualty dolly is laid on it's side, prone, with a rifle next to it.  Each of the new types will have the uniform finalised, headgear added, packs put on if needed, etc.

Quote from: Zippee on 22 January 2019, 02:32:48 PM
Warsaw - czapska

Quote from: sultanbev on 22 January 2019, 03:48:19 PM
Austrian grenadier
Prussian in covered shako and greatcoat

We'll add those two and I'll ask the sculptor to do the Prussian one in a greatcoat.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

Quote from: Last Hussar on 22 January 2019, 05:51:15 PM
There is a dead horse pack somewhere.

It doesn't sell well ...

Leon says it's pointless trying to flog a dead horse.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Oh, and don't forget one of Techno with a cut finger.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Last Hussar

Quote from: fsn on 22 January 2019, 09:09:48 PM
It doesn't sell well ...

Leon says it's pointless trying to flog a dead horse.

You really are an Oik, Nobby.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Techno

Westie's trying, as well !!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil