As the House is pleased to direct me... Another ECW project

Started by mmcv, 20 January 2019, 11:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jambo1

Lovely work once more, really like the artillery base, super stuff!! :)

Techno

Quote from: mmcv on 24 February 2019, 10:02:38 PM
I have the felt sheet I use for my Crusades battles, which is a neutral teddy bear brown. Might work a bit better. Or I could try some grey cardboard. Plenty more playing to do, to be honest I only spent five or ten mins on these pics as was at the end of a long session, and didn't do any adjustments afterwards so I'm sure there's plenty more I can try. Thanks for all the advice, some new things to have a go at!  :D

I reckon that the brown felt should work quite well.....Grey cardboard should, too. :)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Thanks everyone! Taking Phil's advice on this one and trying with more neutral background. Seems to work well, though the focus is still a bit off. Getting there!

Prince Rupert's Bluecoats:

Added in a LoA commander that Leon kindly supplied as a sample to add a bit of variety. Can see why everyone loves the range so much, an absolute joy to paint so will be adding more in for sure to some of the command stands and units.

This will be the last for a little while as I'm away to sunny Australia for a couple of weeks on Saturday!

jambo1

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Rats...I meant to mention. (Idiot, Phil)  8-}

I think that the first shots.....You've got the light source (is it sunlight ? ) behind/to  the side of the models, which is why they look a bit on the dark side.
Again the light meter will be looking for an 'average' light reading.

The last two really show your work off really nicely, M.  :)

Hope that might help !

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Thanks!

Quote from: Techno on 08 March 2019, 12:35:15 PM
Rats...I meant to mention. (Idiot, Phil)  8-}

I think that the first shots.....You've got the light source (is it sunlight ? ) behind/to  the side of the models, which is why they look a bit on the dark side.
Again the light meter will be looking for an 'average' light reading.

The last two really show your work off really nicely, M.  :)

Hope that might help !

Cheers - Phil

It's a painting light, big inverted L thing that's over the top of them coming from the left. Haven't seen sunlight on a while now.. :P

They always look okay on the phone then when I go to upload them notice the iffiness!

Techno

Have you got any progs on your PC that allow you to change 'things', 'M' ?

I've got a VERY old program (ACDSee) that allows me to muck around in quite a few ways.....Lightening, darkening, adding colour, blah, blah, blah....
I still find it very useful for under or over exposed photos so that they show detail.

Does anyone know if there's a 'free' app that comes with Windows that allows you to do something similar.
Just had a quick look in the apps 'page'....But can't see one.

But you all know how hopeless I am with computers. :-[

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

I'm sure there's some out there I can use to touchup. I'll maybe do some nice shots of the massed armies when they're complete and take a bit more care tidying them up.

Matt J

GIMP

(that's a recommendation not an insult  :))

free version of photoshop
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Thanks for popping that down, chaps. :)

Just to go off topic, a little.....While I was looking for an app that's already on the PC....I did have a bit of luck.
I found some photo's that I'd been looking for for ages. (I thought I must have deleted them....But there they were. Somewhere where I'd never thought of checking.)

Cheers - Phil