As the House is pleased to direct me... Another ECW project

Started by mmcv, 20 January 2019, 11:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jambo1

Superb thread!! Enjoyed reading through it and looking at your progress, lovely work, really top notch. :)

mmcv

Thanks!  :D

Had a good run at stuff this weekend.

First up a Forlorn Hope of Commanded Shot. Went with a 100mm frontage, same as the Horse.

mmcv

These are some marker units to use for things like Attached Shot and whatever else I need some sort of marker for!

mmcv

Artillery

Playing about a lot with lighting here! Sorry the first few are so dark.

mmcv

Also, have my first unit of Royalist foot (Prince Rupert's) painted and ready for basing. Just command figures and flags still to do for it.

So all around a productive weekend, first in a while that I've actually had a chance to sit for a few hours at a stretch and get some proper stuff done!

Techno

Lovely work, 'M' !.......The later piccies have come out oodles better, and really do your work justice !!  :-bd :-bd

Cheers - Phil.

(Who just takes snaps, because he's a lazy oik, and hopes Leon will be able to see 'something' worth looking at....I really must try and find the time to learn how to use my camera properly. :-[)

mmcv

Thanks Phil,

One of my painting lamps gives very good lighting, but it's an inverted L shape rather than gooseneck so can be difficult to get the right angle without shadow. Think I'm gradually getting the lighting set up right though, and using the lamps means I don't need to worry too much about sunlight (what's that?). Played a bit with the camera settings as well. Think most camera phones come set up more for portrait style photos which, while I'm sure very good for selfies, don't help much with this style of thing!

Cheers,

Matthew

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Hi again, Matthew. :)

I'm definitely NOT an expert with cameras on phones.....But I imagine that on certain settings they could behave like a 'normal' digital camera.

If that IS the case......

If you use a white background, the camera will be fooled if you take a picture . It will try and make the background a fairly neutral shade (eg a mid grey) that's if there's a lot of background.....and underexpose the main subject. Conversely, if you used a black background.....The main subject itself will be overexposed and 'washed out', assuming you just use the most automatic setting on the camera.

Whatever you've done with the later pictures has worked really well....and I'd stick with that.

If the phone will allow you a manual setting......You can 'fool' the camera, by, before taking the pic, taking a reading off something that's a neutral shade.....The palm of your hand is fine for this sort of thing. If you can lock this setting into the camera....that should work as well.

I do hope this makes some sort of sense.  X_X....The more I read it back  the more it sounds like complete gibberish ! :-[

Cheers - Phil (Post modified at the fourth attempt.  ;D ;D ;D)

mmcv

Thanks Phil, I'll give that a go. I was fiddling with the manual options though mostly made things worse.  X_X  I think at one point it did seem to be taking readings in manual mode for the later pictures so seems to have gotten something right eventually. Let's hope I can replicate it next time. I'm usually pretty good with technology, but photography isn't something I've much experience of, so a new skill to develop!

Techno

Me again.  ;D

Having had a quick think... You could try possibly the simplest 'cheat', and use a neutral shade background. I'm sure we've got this down somewhere else on the forum......But where ?  ;D ;D

Something like a mid grey background will make the colours on the figures 'pop'.....Because the sensors on the camera won't be fooled into over or under exposing the entire shot....especially important for the actual subject....In this case the figures !

The dire snaps of the master figures figures I send to 'Sir', are taken on a mid blue background (Which has definitely seen better days. :-[)

The green of the green stuff comes out pretty close to the real colour....Though I'll cheat, if I have to, by adjusting the brightness of the image on the PC.

Hope that makes sense too !! ;)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

I have the felt sheet I use for my Crusades battles, which is a neutral teddy bear brown. Might work a bit better. Or I could try some grey cardboard. Plenty more playing to do, to be honest I only spent five or ten mins on these pics as was at the end of a long session, and didn't do any adjustments afterwards so I'm sure there's plenty more I can try. Thanks for all the advice, some new things to have a go at!  :D