Goblins in Frostgrave action shock!

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 19 January 2019, 10:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Nice report, good looking game.

I'm currently still going back & forth between Frostgrave and Sellswords & Spellslingers for my fantasy RPG-lite action. Which to choose?

Last Hussar

Both - they are different game, doing different things
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Good game, excellent scenery - dense enough to break up the sight lines.
Plenty of back and forth action.

Did anybody level up?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

sunjester

Sounds like a great game Will, glad you finally got a game in.

Raider4 - I'd recommend both Frostgrave and Sellswords, because that's what I do! As LH said, they are very different games.

Steve J

Raider4

Quote from: sunjester on 20 January 2019, 10:10:40 AM
Raider4 - I'd recommend both Frostgrave and Sellswords, because that's what I do! As LH said, they are very different games.

Don't think my little brain can cope with two similar but different rule sets at the same time. I really need one of those Joe-90 machines to download just one game at a time . . .

steve_holmes_11

Probably sensible to take on just one new game system at once - for fear of muddling the systems.

It's been a while, but I'm theoretically still involved in a Frostgrave campaign, great fun.
We had read some precautionary tales about campaigns and adopted a couple of popular houserules.

A turn limit - 6 turns, followed by die rolls to see whether the game has ended.
This encourages a bit of urgency in getting on and off the table with treasure.
We rationalise it as another blizzard whiting out the table and every man for huimself to make it back to camp.

Play with 3 or 4 players.
This addresses concerns about balance and snowballing.
With 2 players it's difficult to make up the lead once one team has a couple of wins (and the resulting buffs) under its belt.
This is particularly the case with attack style wizards who gain extra experience from killing foes.
Some players suggest rules to re-balance this, but we found that multi-player addressed the situation - the weaker players would work against the dangerous campaign leader, and usually prevent excessive victories.

Steve J

Mordheim had similar problems over one warband gaining the lead in a campaign. They overcame this by allowing lower warbands to gain more experience, theoretically allowing them to catch up with the leader; it worked after a fashion...

I've actually just ordered the rulebook as it's pretty cheap second hand off Amazon, so a kind of no-brainer :). It will be interesting to compare it to Mordheim, which is used to play an awful lot 10-15 years ago.

Raider4

The problem with Mordheim was that the "damaged houses" scenery required was much more hard work to make than pretty much any other type.

I worry the same problem will afflict Frostgrave.