WW2 Russian Winter Kit

Started by Heedless Horseman, 18 January 2019, 01:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Hi. Having bought some Red Army figs in winter kit, I see that they are in the padded uniforms or greatcoats. Both are fine for cold weather fighting. However, I am curious about whether white cammo snowsuits were prevalent in actual snow conditions? So many photos show Russian troops in them...not so many in the quilted kit in snow. Obviously, photos were mainly for propaganda...so would show the best kit for the conditions. I imagine scout troops would be the  most likely to have good cammo gear...but what about the ordinary infantry? I am thinking about winter 1944/45 here, rather than Stalingrad.
It just seems rather odd to have the Russians in khaki going against Germans in white smocks on a snow battlemat.
Perhaps...another Pendraken kit issue???  :o ;D :d
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

steve_holmes_11

I seem to remember (ie can't remember the source and can't provide a link), that the scouts and paratroops got first dibs on the snowsuits.
I'd hazard that favoured spearhead units lieke the Guards Divisions would be next most likely to get them.

I generally aim for a mixed up appearance for my experienced or veteran troops.

steve_holmes_11

Followup, with a little extra info.

One of the Holocaust documentaries last night contained some relevant info.
Inmates of Auschwitz Birkenau described their liberation.
I'll summarise, it was heart rending stuff and I'm sure that's played with my precise recall.

QuoteSome movement in the East and the sound of gunfire.
Later we saw people approaching, all dressed in white.

Cut to stock footage of Soviet infantry in white winter suits skirmishing with rifles from prone positions.
It looked as through many were wearing a sinkle ski which they used to shuffle forward.

No idea where or when the stock footage was shot, but you always ask yourself how the cameraman maintained such a high angle when all the soldiers were hiding.
i.e. Looked like something filmed after the event.

The inmates and eyewitness soldiers both described how they re-staged the arrival in the camp after the Soviet film crews arrived.