What new periods would you like try in 10mm?

Started by Sunray, 13 January 2019, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zippee

On the assumption that the rest of the gaps in the Napoleonic range are going to get filled in regardless, my vote goes for

Revolutionary Wars range - I'm less interested in Egypt, Russia and Persia but Austria and France including Piedmont, Polish legions, etc would be cool

I'd also like a 18th century in India range Clive, EIC, Presidency and Wellesley

And despite the fact that my extremely comprehensive ancients armies are all 15mm I have nothing in the biblical era, so would seriously consider a 10mm expansion there.

Leman

With the release of the BBB Balkan Wars book why not a 10mm range. Here's an idea: a catalogue listing for the Balkan Wars giving proxies, with their current code, for figures already available that will work well, and just new figures to fill in the gaps.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: fsn on 15 January 2019, 08:38:00 AM
So far, I make it (in no particular order):

• 1 War of 1812

Two votes so far (me and SultanBev)

Raider4

Post-Roman Britain (as described in Bernard Conwell's Arthur trilogy)

To play games like Frostgrave or Sellswords & Spellslingers in 10mm, "Classic" D&D-style packs of adventurers. Packs of (say) 6-10 figures, a few fighters, a wizard, a cleric or two, a thief, etc. Including both male & female characters. (Don't know how practical these would be really, but would be nice.)

Leman

Would you be able to find them? What would you do with the other 14 in each pack?

Orcs

Quote from: Raider4 on 15 January 2019, 07:54:11 PM
Post-Roman Britain (as described in Bernard Conwell's Arthur trilogy)

You can do this fairly well using the Late Romans , and the Dark Ages packs

Quote from: Raider4 on 15 January 2019, 07:54:11 PM
To play games like Frostgrave or Sellswords & Spellslingers in 10mm, "Classic" D&D-style packs of adventurers. Packs of (say) 6-10 figures, a few fighters, a wizard, a cleric or two, a thief, etc. Including both male & female characters. (Don't know how practical these would be really, but would be nice.)

Unfortunately creating a pack of  individuals master  would be very expensive - 10 plus masters. Then you would only sell a pack or at most two to someone who was interested.  Its not really commercially viable.  Also the cost of two of these packs for 10mm, you could buy your warband for Frostgrave or Sell Swords in 28mm.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

steve_holmes_11

Am I alone in finding "Revolutionary War" ambiguous?

It seems to be commonly used in the context of 1792, guillotines, sans-culottes etc.

My initial reaction is always 1776, Washington crossing the Deleware, Riflemen with squirrel hats in their log cabins etc.

Chad

Steve

To an extent it is if you google it. Better the term Wars of the French Revolution,.

The armies required to cover the period of the 1st Coalition in Europe would be:

French
Prussian
Austrian
British
Dutch
Hanoverian
Hessian
Small contingents from other German states.
Piedmont and other Italian states
Spanish

Leman

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 January 2019, 07:55:09 AM

It seems to be commonly used in the context of 1792, guillotines, sans-culottes etc.

My initial reaction is always 1776, Washington crossing the Deleware, Riflemen with squirrel hats in their log cabins etc.
In the UK the Revolutionary Wars refers to the period 1792 -1804, i.e. the wars sparked by the French Revolution. What took place in the American colonies is seen as a war for independence from the colonial power rather than a revolution. So yes, in the Uk you would be alone as our mnemonic for 1776-1783 is the AWI.

FierceKitty

...or in remembering that the important fight in 1812 was outside Moscow?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sultanbev

The longest war of that time was the 1780-1821 war in the middle east, with Brits, EIC, Omanis, Iraqis, Syrians, Yemenis, Turks and Egyptians all fighting the Saudis, (Wahhabis of the Nejd and Qawasimi pirates as they were called then). If it wasn't for Napoleon stomping all over Europe, Wellington would have earned his fame in the Persian Gulf.

Mark

Westmarcher

Your question has a point, Steve; there is some ambiguity (yet funny how most of us thought of the French Revolutionary Wars - which is the proper title for these wars, btw)? For me, the plural ("wars") helped direct me to the consensus of the majority. The other war you mention, of course, is known as the American Revolutionary War by our American cousins but like Leman, I always think of that conflict as The American War of Independence partly because that's how it was first introduced to me in school.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

16 January 2019, 11:04:36 AM #58 Last Edit: 16 January 2019, 11:06:20 AM by FierceKitty
I think of that one as the American rebellion (also as the "War-of-Why-do-Horse-and-Musket-without-Hussars-or-Cuirassiers?").
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Womble67

There are several things I would like mentioned by other members for my ongoing Project

Quote from: Orcs on 13 January 2019, 08:21:50 PM
WW2 Polish (or generic) Armoured Train  - Sorry getting a bit like FK and the Aztecs before they were released

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 January 2019, 11:37:06 PM

Russian Partisans, German Volkssturm and the Russian B-4 203mm tracked howitzer, for example. I realise demand may be low for some or all of those.

Plus a tractor

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!