Building a Dogs of War Army

Started by Glorfindel, 13 January 2019, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glorfindel

Our gaming group has played Warmaster for many years and has built up a good selection of
armies.   I was recently inspired to build a Dogs of War (DoW) army, essentially because it
offers something a bit different, big pike blocks.

I quickly realised that it also offers the chance to add in all sorts of historical units.  For example,
I needed lots of light cavalry, so painted up four units of Mongols.   

It can also be a very colourful army, the idea being that each troop type is rented out by a
different mercenary captain, with their own heraldry.

Some of the mercenary Captains :

Six units of pikes :

Four units of Crossbows (I cheating by using less figures but building my own 'pavises'
for them to hide behind):

A couple of 'Tuskas', built using K****stra figures :

Galloper guns :

The Paymaster (Hussite cart with late Roman general).   The 'gold' is made by filling
ECW pots with sand, fixing with white pva and then painting up in a suitable colour.

I also added an artilleryman at the back of the cart, sneaking up to try his luck:

I have also now added two more Infantry units (barbarians), some light cavalry (Mongols)
anda barbarian general (in a chariot pulled by two rhinos).   As you do.

Pics to follow.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Phil

Steve J

Well Phil, I certainly did enjoy looking at these 8). A Dogs of War army certainly does allow you to field lots of cool stuff, which is great.

fred.

That's certainly a good number of pikes!

I do like the overall look of the army. It's good to see a deliberately put together DoW army, looks much more coherent. Mine is built from various parts of other armies.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Great looking army, fearsome wall of pike there!

lowlylowlycook

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Noktu

These are splendid! Eagerly waiting for more.

Especially those pikes look menacing, makes me want to order a bunch. How come your pikes are so straight? Or how do you straighten those?

Raider4

Agree with the others, these are splendid.

(Currently considering how I can play Kings of War using 10mm, and one of my planned armies is Dogs of War using Pendraken figures.)

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

Terrific looking army. One day I'll get round to painting up my condottiere.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

Quote from: Raider4 on 13 January 2019, 03:44:03 PM
Agree with the others, these are splendid.

(Currently considering how I can play Kings of War using 10mm, and one of my planned armies is Dogs of War using Pendraken figures.)

We've played loads of KoW with 10mm. We have played using both standard 28mm distances and close to 28mm unit foot-prints. I've also done a bit using cm to inch scale conversion. Both work. The cm to inch option is a bit small and you need to be careful moving units as an accidental nudge can be significant.

Playing with full 28mm measurements worked for us has we had huge warmaster armies to use. We changed the unit footprints to fit WM 40x20mm bases, so had 8cm frontage rather than 10cm. This gave really impressive looking battles but you need loads of figures.

I key thing to consider is your current basing - and how you might fit that to KoW basing.

If you are starting from scratch then I'd pick a multiplier - probably 1.5 to start with and cut some card bases to that size to see how they look with figures on. If you like the look great, if not try another multiplier.  You will probably want to make some measuring sticks if you go with an odd multiplier (this is were going for inches to com really helps!)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Really nice stuff !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!