Is varnishing worthwhile?

Started by mmcv, 12 January 2019, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

I am a previous convert to Winsor & Newton acrylic varnishes.

I use the brush on matt version for most things where it is important to get good coverage to minimise handling wear and tear.

I use the brush on gloss version for the same reasons on my 'old school' collections. It dries quickly and appears to be fairly tough and shiny.

More recently I continue to use the matt version but then top coat with a de luxe spray matt varnish from Minibits. It looks just that bit more matt. I use this combination on commission work.
My Ego forbids a signature.

fsn

All of the above.

I spay varnish everything - after basing. Most things are varnished matt, but I have used silk and gloss on tiny aeroplanes and tinier ships.

For some, very selective figures, I will use W&N varnish selectively. For example my Greek Gods are matt for the most part, but the armours are brushed gloss.

I find the easist thing is to make sure I pick things up by the base whenever possible.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I used to use Letracoat, Matt Varnish....Never ever had a duff tin of that !!

Sadly, I'm not sure if that's even available anymore.  :(
Used to buy it from larger stationery shops.

To make ABSOLUTELY sure I didn't have a rogue tin, I used to spray the paper that the figures were destined to stand on, when they were varnished..... dry the varnish with a hairdryer (Don't tell the better half you're doing this)...and check it was 'as I wanted'.

Like I say...never had a problem with it.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

I reckon I was the better half!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!