Is varnishing worthwhile?

Started by mmcv, 12 January 2019, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Hey, do you lot varnish your 10mm's or not?

I used a spray varnish on my 10mm Crusades armies, but truth be told I think it was too weak to do much of anything.

I've now got a brush on varnish that I've used on some of my Zombiecide minis and started using on a few of my 10mm ECW commanders.

Before I move to do the troops though, I thought it was a worthwhile question to ask - is there a benefit to varnishing at the smaller scales?

With big figures where you're handling the figure itself a lot and there's skin contact to the mini and wear and tear it makes a lot of sense, but at a small scale where most of the handling is of entire bases, does it still have benefits? I.e. does it increase the longevity of the paint jobs, or is it an unnecessary extra step?

Interested to hear your thoughts!

Steve J

I always varnish/lacquer my figures as it helps protect the paint and also gives an even finish. Even when based, I will pick up the figures on occasion, so that extra level of protection is well worth it IMHO.

Norm

I have always felt varnishing metal as essential. The ones that I have failed to varnish adequately have bare metal now showing through some of the high points on the figures.

Westmarcher

Definitely varnish them. So annoying when your hard work is easily scuffed off.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Nick the Lemming

Always varnish (brush on for me) all my figures, even the 3mm ones.

Orcs

12 January 2019, 08:20:34 PM #5 Last Edit: 12 January 2019, 09:09:02 PM by Orcs
I always varnish with at least two coats.  Vallejo paints while excellent appear to be softer than some of the others available. Consequently I often varnish partway through painting to protect what I have already done.

I use a brush on varnish most of the problems seem to occur with sprays.  I do use sprays occasionally as I have some weathering effects that are water soluble and never fully dry, so I seal them with spray varnish before putting my normal two coats on
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Quote from: Steve J on 12 January 2019, 06:36:49 PM
I always varnish/lacquer my figures as it helps protect the paint and also gives an even finish. Even when based, I will pick up the figures on occasion, so that extra level of protection is well worth it IMHO.

I also varnish my figures, the even finish that Steve mentions is definitely an additional plus
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Seems like a pretty unanimous consensus! Thanks for the advice, I will continue with my varnishing plans.  :-bd

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Absolutely yes.
At least two coats. Army painter matt.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Indispensable for protection. I use artist's matt fixative spray.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

I have vallejo matt varnish to brush on. I think I have a can of artist fixitive too, may give it a go.

Do you varnish your bases too?

Playing with a couple of soakings of watered down pvc to seal up some basing experiments. Would you varnish on top of that?

Though I'm getting a sense it will be "when in doubt.... add varnish"!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Needed for all metal and soft plastic figures. I still varnish the hard plastic stuff as well, but suspect it's not really needed for the figure, although it is needed to fix the flock and sand on the base.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Yes it is - but brush it on as spray cans don't always do what they say on the tin!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

Yeah I always varnish. Helps solidify the gravel on the base and as I give my figures a W&N wash of a future wash it helps deaden the shine from them
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Yup, the only reason not to add a coat of varnish is when it needs two :)

Spray varnish all the way. Fast, easy and reliable. Life's too short for brush on.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data