Multiple projects at once?

Started by mmcv, 11 January 2019, 10:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 13 January 2019, 12:00:48 PM
I have not finished anything, and I have been painting toy soldiers since 1973...

Curses. I think that means you've been at it a year longer than I!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

kipt

1967 with Scuby miniatures (after visiting him in Visalia, CA.)

Ithoriel

My first painted miniatures were Airfix figures painted (well, for a certain value of "painted" at least) in a hotel in Scarborough. Self, parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents had virtually taken the place over. Second week of the holiday I was diagnosed with chicken pox and forbidden to go out with the rest of the tribe so was left in the care of my grandfather. He was a carver and painter of exquisite wooden toy yachts as well as Foreman of Joiners at the naval dockyard, so had some knowledge of Humbrol paints so I became the proud possessor of a box of figures, a random collection of paints and a brush. If painting hands and faces pink, guns brown, boots black and blood splats on the dead and wounded red counts as painted then that was my start. I felt there was no need to paint the rest because the plastic was the right colour for their uniforms anyway!

That would have been the summer of '62 or 63.

Shortly thereafter I graduated to Airfix ships and Fletcher Pratt rules and started real wargaming, exchanging marbles for measuring tapes!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

As a child I remember being told by my older broither that I was too young to paint ... but my first semi-serious figures must have been 1973 when I bought Altmark's German Combat Uniforms 1933-45. It was the first time I'd seen camo smocks; all the film and TV depictions of German soldiers wore coal scuttle helmets, jackboots and beautifully tailored jackets with bottle green collars. Thus, my Airfix German infantry (1st type with the sPzb 41) got liberally daubed with Airfix gloss brown and vivid green - also gloss. The paint was so thick, it did resemble a shapeless smock.

Happy Days.

To be fair, my painting hasn't improved much since then.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

You're right, Nobby.

The Airfix paints were so 'thick' back then !!

I can remember repainting a Subbuteo goalkeeper's hands, where the paint had chipped off.
It looked as though he was wearing a pair of salmon pink boxing gloves. :o

Cheers - Phil

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Techno on 15 January 2019, 08:19:01 AM
You're right, Nobby.

The Airfix paints were so 'thick' back then !!

I can remember repainting a Subbuteo goalkeeper's hands, where the paint had chipped off.
It looked as though he was wearing a pair of salmon pink boxing gloves. :o

Cheers - Phil

And were in those little screw top glass bottles with an " interesting " smell...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Leman

Now painting 2/3mm ACW scenery, French FPW standard bearer bases, and setting the table for a run out of From Shako to Coal-scuttle. At the back of my painting table are the 15mm dismounted WWI German dragoons.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!