Questions/advice on "Real Time Wargame" games

Started by Edmund2011, 11 January 2019, 12:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edmund2011

Hello all,

I am interested recently in games with area zones/grid instead of using a ruler for movement. I play Crossfire (no rulers, no grid), but now I'm checking and exploring Strategos and TTS.

Yesterday I noticed that some games of RTW (To the last gaiter button, this war without an enemy) seem to have a grid for movement.

I tried to find out more of their games in their webpage, but it's not clear to me if all of them use grids, the level of complexity (I'm looking for something easy) and a brief description of the mechanisims used for gaming (activation, use of cards, etc).

I'm interested in all, but mainly in "Art of war", "For lords tomorrow is a busy day" (Monday??), "This war without an enemy"

I'd thank any comment or advice!

Leman

I have Last Gaiter Button, City of Light and Trapped Like a Fox. All three use a 10 inch grid (I have reduced it to 8, use slightly smaller bases - 25mm squares - and 18mm to the inch measuring sticks). There are two rule levels in each set, i.e. the campaign game, for which maps, counters, charts and, in some of the games, cards are provided, and the tabletop battle rules. These are very straightforward and give a fast game. There are a couple of problems with the rules, namely they do not appear to have been proof read before publication, which means that some of the rules, especially for the campaign, can be a little confusing. I even started to rewrite the rules, but it proved too time consuming and in the end settled for crossing out and adding hand written margin notes. To the Last Gaiter Button  does not come with a tabletop QRS, so one of my friends produced one on his computer.

I also have The WoR set. This one is not a grid based game, the reason being that the tabletop action takes place with the forces already lined up for battle well within bow range. I have never actually played this game.

Out of interest, the Peter Pig RFCM rule system for WWI, Square Bashing, has been adapted to the FPW. This is grid based using 6"/15cm squares. To play requires the Square Bashing rulebook, plus the free to download FPW adaptation entitled Walter Schnaffs (to be found on the Peter Pig RFCM discussion page). This gives a really fun game, including bombardment by corps artillery assets (the Prussians have much more opportunity than the French). Other weapons differences are also taken into account.

My 8 inch squared cloth from Tiny Wargames, plus my home made reduced inch measuring stick and Prussians suitably based for Last Gaiter Button (although this is not a Last Gaiter Button game being played).

Of further interest, Peter Pig is planning a revision of Bloody Barons, the RFCM WoR rules, which may well be going grid based. RFCM also produce a set of ECW rules, Regiment of Foote, which are grid based, and Simon Miller's Big Red Bat online shop sells For King and Parliament, another grid based ECW game, co-authored by our own Mollinary. This has had some terrific write-ups on the web and has been well received at my own club.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Edmund2011

Hi Leman,

Thanks for your answer.

Now it's clearer for me, it seems the games set in FPW and Playing Leapfrog are grid based. The rest not, but I think "Dell'arte della guerra" that mentions as ground scale "Each 8" square = 100-150 paces"  and "This war without an enemy" that says "All combat and movement are by handspan or 6" rules." could be without conventional measuring too.

The idea of having a campaing and battle rules linked is good.

So, RFCM Square Bashing and General of foote are grid games too. It seems there are quite a bunch of rgrid games.

I'll try to check General of foote and For King and country too.

BTW, nice gaming table and matt. I didn't know about Tiny wargmes seller!

Leman

That's Regiment of Foote, and For King and Parliament. With Regiment of Foote, it is the second edition which is grid based. The first edition (still available as a pdf) is not. There is also the FPW variant of Square Bashing, which was the first game I ever played using grids, when it was in it's original one foot squares format. The current edition is six inch squares.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Edmund2011

Hi Leman,

Yes, excuse me, I meant Regiment of Foote and For King and Parliament ;)

Thanks for the advise. I have a couple of rulebooks regarding FPW still waiting to be read, but I have noted your recommendations for FPW with grids. :)