Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

1) Sunjester's Lucky Dice (Orcs will confirm; three 6s on 4 dice is taking the piss) - But absolutely normal for Sunjesters dice

2) My Dice (again, ask Orcs) _- Buy some more.  Take them outside where they can see your old dice. THen infromnt of them either smash the old dice with a hammer or burn them with a blow torch. then explain to the new dice that is what happens to dice that do not throw the correct numbers.

3) I always choose the Austrians...Why - choose British,

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

As much as I'd like to do the British, in not sure it is possible to get rules that work for them because they were so different to the rest of Europe. Also the British didn't take part in the Austro-Prussian and -Franco wars of the 1850s and 60s.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

But they did take part in the Crimea, and India, look how well they did there, upsetting allies and insulting those supposed to be on our side. The Army is too far spread to help really....

The navy was rather useful, at looking good. Its tactics werent kerping uo with technology, just coz it was bigger, did it make it better?

We were still paraniod the French would invade in the 1850s.  Palmerston's Follies anyone...

And they had a tendency to start supporting one side, then switch to back for the underdog ( FPW), or just pull out without getting involved due to business  (ACW, Maximillian in Mexico).

What statues to pull down from this period, we didn't deserve it...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

Look, I'm trying to get Sunjester to do little wooden Russians for 1805, don't confuse the matter!

GNU PTerry

hammurabi70

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 June 2020, 07:56:47 PM
The navy was rather useful, at looking good. Its tactics werent kerping uo with technology, just coz it was bigger, did it make it better?

Would you care to elaborate on that, given that it converted sail ships to steam and introduced the screw frigate?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

But its tactics were still those of Nelson.

Fair point.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 June 2020, 09:05:25 PM
Look, I'm trying to get Sunjester to do little wooden Russians for 1805, don't confuse the matter!

Two problems their,
1 SJ is not really interested in Napoleonics- Yes he will happilly play the game as he is a wargames slapper - Any Period, Any rules , Any side.
2 He has lots to paint that interests him. 

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

hammurabi70

Quote from: mad lemmey on 29 June 2020, 08:59:38 AM
But its tactics were still those of Nelson.

Fair point.

I think the problems arise in the late Victorian period as demonstrated by the loss of the VICTORIA and the signals debacle of WWI. Of course you might argue that such failures make a period MORE interesting.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The signals problem in WWI were due to a lack of voice radio, and coal smoke. Overall in the only major battle only one signal would have appered to have gone astray, BCF to 5th Battle Squadron. Yes there were problems at Dogger Bank, but that was due to an unclear signal not not seeing it.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Signals problem is WWI was as much down to radio being new and no-one having worked through the practical application of it, so you had the Admiralty giving orders directly to the ships.

Plus lots of reliance on short-range comms by flags, which had the problem of smoke and damage - which I suspect was hardly a new problem for WWI, but ranges were probably longer, so harder to see.

Plus RN focusing on volume of fire over accuracy - which was the reverse of the German approach. Coupled with manual range spotting trying to work amongst the scatter of lots of shooting from lots of different guns.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

hammurabi70

One of the major issues in WWI was that nobody realised the visibility issues so units at the periphery failed to inform the centre of what was happening.  In Nelson's day, subject to smoke, the fleets were visible to the admirals.  At Jutland, Jellicoe was deploying his fleet of dreadnoughts without proper scouting intelligence.  There was too much of doing as one was told and not enough about ensuring effective communication.

Last Hussar

Update.
The problem with Walt's little wooden men is the price, just £2 for 12 strips of 8 men. I'm looking at doing the entire Bavarian corps. At battalion level (3 bases to a unit,)! It going to come to about £30.

Plus they are easy to paint being flatish.

I can now field ALL of the Brunswick MiB, again at 3 bases to a BP unit. For Blucher I need less than I have.

The bigger problem is Uhlans, because I have to cut squares to glue on top for the czapka, and the pennants on the lances.

So, Bavarians next, then maybe Wurttemberg and or Westphalia. Possibly the Poles.

Wondering about getting a Russian army for Christmas.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 April 2021, 01:05:13 AM
Wondering about getting a Russian army for Christmas.

Learn from Napoleon and Hitler, Don't go anywhere near Russia or Russians in the winter.  - Buy them now!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fred. on 29 June 2020, 04:59:14 PM
Signals problem is WWI was as much down to radio being new and no-one having worked through the practical application of it, so you had the Admiralty giving orders directly to the ships.

Plus lots of reliance on short-range comms by flags, which had the problem of smoke and damage - which I suspect was hardly a new problem for WWI, but ranges were probably longer, so harder to see.

Plus RN focusing on volume of fire over accuracy - which was the reverse of the German approach. Coupled with manual range spotting trying to work amongst the scatter of lots of shooting from lots of different guns.

Volume of fire might have seemed sensible at the time.
You can see a lot of design features which play to the "You'll never see, let along hit anything at 8 miles range" school.
The recent example of Tsushima had a lot of Navies reevaluating their fire policies, and often drawing incorrect conclusions.

It's a bit like early WW2 tanks.
There's a little prior experience, but armour's now three times as thick (More if you're in a Matilda), speeds are up to 10 times faster and gunnery is completely different.
Sure, you've had plenty of time to practice, but most of that was spent driving a 15cwt truck with a plywood tank chassis on top (unless you're Russian, in which case you've likely been purged).
So everybody goes into 1939/40 with their vision of the modern tank force...
Some worked better than others.

Since the arceologists have been at work -

Royal Navy Gunnery was actually better that German in WWI, the Germans lacked director fire control til 1916, but found the range eariler than the RN, but RN ships held it better. The loss of the battlecrusiers was mainly due to ignoreing the saftey precautions.

Tank design in 1940 was fitted to doctrine, and yes on average the Germans were rather better at it. However compare an A13 MkII with a Panzer IIIE. Armour is of the same order, the 13 is rather faster and has a better gun. THe major difference was in how they were used, and numbers.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021