Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Zippy looking table !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Excellent, when this stupidity is over, I'm in.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Looking well, must feel good to get them on the table!

Last Hussar

2 games with them (plus 2 solo games, but I never feel like that counts)

2nd game was Blucher (today). because I have been painting towards a FoG:N OOB, I didn't have enough Austrian artillery or French cavalry. So, when I can be arsed to paint more, that's what will be up next.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

Sounds good - how's your find Blucher as a game?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

Its ok.  Different to most rules because its so high level, so it lacks a lot of things because they aren't needed, such as formations - that sort of thing is the problem of the brigadiers.  Its more about where do you concentrate your efforts, because you have a limited number of activation points, and you don't know how many.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

I really like them. You feel like Napoleon or Kuznetsov etc, to me!

But they're very "chalk or cheese"
And a lot of people don't get on with them.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

sunjester

I really enjoyed the game (not just because I won  ;D ). Early 19th century isn't usually my favourite period, but I'll certainly play Blucher again.

Last Hussar

Sunjester was looking at one end of the field thinking if I attacked there he didn't have enough units to hold me, I was looking at the same situation thinking how much of a slocg it would be and I could easily get routed; I wanted to move there but the 'I don't know how much momentum I have' problem meant that I dare not split my attack in two places.

Its always funny finding out your opponent's view on the game afterwards; ive found sitting on the other side of the table gives you a whole new perspective.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

Excellent, glad you both approved :D

"Why didnt you just..." is a great post mortem.

FierceKitty

Quote from: toxicpixie on 27 June 2020, 11:43:42 AM
Excellent, glad you both approved :D

"Why didnt you just..." is a great post mortem.

Better than "What you did wrong was..." from someone who won by absurdly good luck.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

"What you did wrong was..." not bring my lucky Dice rolls ;)

paulr

The people that 'amuse' me are the ones who complain about their poor rolls and your good ones when their poor tactics leave them needing 6s when you only need to roll 4s ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Ahhh, that's playing the rules not the game! Terrible folk, that. Even worse when you wrote the rules ;)

Last Hussar

Three things lead to my defeat at 19th Century (Any of it, not just the early bit)

1) Sunjester's Lucky Dice (Orcs will confirm; three 6s on 4 dice is taking the piss)
2) My Dice (again, ask Orcs)
3) I always choose the Austrians...

At least with Blucher the French Skirmishers are a lot less effective than in FoG.

Need to paint more artillery, and then more Cavalry for Blucher - What I have is for FoG OOBs.  Going to get the Imperial Guard as well. Next game we'll use the campaign system.

GNU PTerry