Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Back to weights, and rather than just become obsessed by the arithmetic (if somebody wants to check that - I did it in my head), a few thoughts

10 Pendraken (ECW command) come to 10g - and 10-12 is what people put on a 40x20

This means that when you pick up a base of Commission mdf they feel very fragile. I don't think they are, its just the association with lightness (fun fact - Kenwood mixers are designed 'heavy' to help with the impression of quality).

Although I use superglue on metal (actually what I do is pva on the base, glue the superglued figures into that, then immediately flock) my suspicion is with the mdf->pva->mdf the bond will be stronger; the glue soaks in (unlike any metal bond) and the lightness means less strain on the glue - 1/3g on a 40x1mm bead.  It also means that if they do fly around due to a pothole the actual weight hitting the other stand will be a lot less.  Also the mdf is soft, so more give, and I am not so much as painting as staining, as the mdf must be absorbing the undercoat, and paint/ink to paint adhesion must be better than paint to metal, so I think less likely to chip, though I'm guessing the flagpoles and lances may be lost!
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fred.

I'm not quite sure where you are going with all the maths...

But a base of MDF figures is going to feel very light - with some of the plastic WM figures, I glued them on to steel bases, just to give them a similar heft to metal figures on plastic bases. Not entirely sure why I found this necessary, but it did make them feel right.

For transport, I think you are right the 'painting' will be robust, whether the sticky out bits of the figures will be, I don't know. But perhaps a bit of bubble wrap in the top of each tray will do enough to hold them in place.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Last Hussar

I hate painting- I took a break and got engrossed. (Why yes, I do have a diagnosis for high functioning autism, how did you know?)

I'm thinking of gluing felt on the underside of the box trays. Bubble wrap might be too deep, but I'll have a look at that suggestion.

GNU PTerry

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Last Hussar on 09 May 2020, 02:36:21 PM
This means that when you pick up a base of Commission mdf they feel very fragile. I don't think they are, its just the association with lightness (fun fact - Kenwood mixers are designed 'heavy' to help with the impression of quality).

This is a known phenomenon - probably mentioned in an episode of No Such Thing as a Fish (a podcast from the QI Elves) - eg the weight of cutlery you eat with in a restaurant can strongly influence perception of its quality  :-B
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

fred.

Having moved a number of rocks in the garden this afternoon, there is a point where it tips from weight indicating quality to just being bloomin heavy...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

The very expensive Beats headphones are just bog standard headphones with weights in. Never mind the quality, feel the weight!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: fred. on 09 May 2020, 06:46:22 PM
Having moved a number of rocks in the garden this afternoon, there is a point where it tips from weight indicating quality to just being bloomin heavy...

=O
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Last Hussar

FINALLY finished the basing.

Painting on pause for a few days, going to tidy up the house tomorrow.

Then a bit of an audit to decide what next.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

A serious side to my joke about 19th Century needing to pick a uniform - ESPECIALLY Austrians - is in the bit about buying too much.

Metal is far nicer, but that comes at a cost.  I would have had to stuck to an OrBat rigidly, then maybe added units on later. I would have had little chance for variation outside of that.  With these I can knock out a 6 base unit in an evening or two, and adding that extra Grenz or Landwehr to the box costs £2, but gives me flexibility.

If I win the lottery I'd happily replace in metal, because someone else would be doing the painting!  Until then, with my limited time, limited money and limited patience with a brush, I'm happy with these.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

They look great to me L.H.

Happy house tidying.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

I hope be taking them to Tring one day! So you can see them there.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Finally gave them a run out, as part of a Sunjester "Bubble".

For Sj and I, the game is more about the social aspect than winning (also 'winning' can you explain what that means please) so the game is more fun than solo. I took 6 pints of carry out draught from my local (who is doing off sales for the duration); you forget how good it tastes!

Facing Armies by Last Hussar, on Flickr

The French Advance by Last Hussar, on Flickr

More on Flickr - pics are the link.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Those look awesome fella!  8)
Only 6? 🍻
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

13 June 2020, 12:14:45 AM #283 Last Edit: 13 June 2020, 12:17:06 AM by Last Hussar
[duplicate]

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Sj has bottles. Also afternoon drinking, and because its from a pub more expensive than Aldi. And I had to carry it a mile.

You've been to Sj's house - I'm only a mile away, and always up for a game.

GNU PTerry