Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Yeah that's fair enough. I would say the "fantasy" elements drop off quite a bit in the latter books, especially with the industrial revolution. It's still there given the backdrop of the world and the inhabitants being not altogether human (while still being very much so in character) but isn't a focus or large plot driver. I wouldn't necessarily class it black humour. It's certainly a bit wry at times, but he's a master at layering comedy, irony, self reflection, parody and reference to real world events and people. And many punes*.

*Or play on words.

I'd also heartily recommend Good Omens, both the book and the recent TV series.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Met him once, a very strange person. The books do tail off a bit toward the end, but that I suspect was a symptom of his condition.

ianS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

I have 11 battalions of line completed, and 1 light. Each is 96 figures on 6 bases. 1 regt cuirassier, 2 chasseur, 1 hussar. 3 guns and crew. 16 4 man bases of skirmish, 6 command stands, plus ADCs to act as command points, and 4 bases of infantry officer attachment, 3 for cavalry. Still got 4 bns to paint, plus some skirmish and about 8 guns (I think). That's a gameable force done.

Hopefully pics soon.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

sunjester

Stop mucking about on the computer then and get on with the Austrians to oppose them!

Last Hussar

I need to buy them first. I'm looking at my bank account. Also don't want them arriving before I've comleted the French.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Will some please send me "a life"

The muskets are resting on the floor as a score up one leg. So I've bought a yard brush, and am cutting the bristles into 8mm lengths to glue to the shoulders.

The gluing is simple, its cutting the lengths.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

As the actress said to the bishop...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

Multipurpose follow up to that

Turns out its trickier that I thought and won't be quick. I can see it keeping me up at night.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

04 July 2019, 02:25:51 AM #98 Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 02:29:32 AM by Last Hussar
Once I've got the individual bristles cut, I could arm a battalion in about an hour. It would be quicker if I'd thought of this before basing - I couldn't find anything thin enough.

Bristle muskets by Last Hussar, on Flickr

Untitled by Last Hussar, on Flickr

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

04 July 2019, 02:28:22 AM #99 Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 02:31:56 AM by Last Hussar
The flag, by the way, is 4mm high.

Hard to see is the fact that the two figures at the back, one is carrying a pike, and the other has a sword.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Wowzers, that's a good idea, pops them up nicely.

I just did similar on some 1/72nd pikemen, not sure I'd want to do hundreds, mind, so you have kudos for that!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

And Pierre the Shy thought it was a lot of work gluing on 10mm Pike ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

They really do look rather spiffy !

I'm 'well' impressed !

Cheers - Phil

Last Hussar

If reckon I can do half a battalion an evening minimum, so I can do my 12 bns in a couple of weeks.  Future strips I'll do before basing.

GNU PTerry