Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

And it's good enough you can probably run through the series multiple times with out going crazy :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Raider4

Quote from: Last Hussar on 27 June 2019, 08:45:16 AM
I usually listen to BBC comedy . . .

Ahh, me too. I have seven seasons of Old Harry's Game, the first two of Hitchhiker's, the original Knowing Me, Knowing You and the complete Revolting People. Oh, and Good Omens and a couple of Pratchett's Discworld stories that they've adapted (Guards, Guards and, umm, another who's name I can't recall at the mo).

Trouble is I've heard them all so often. Still good though.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Pyramids they did a while back.
All hail Om
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Quote from: mad lemmey on 27 June 2019, 03:30:09 PM
Pyramids they did a while back.

No, it's not that one . . .

Quote from: mad lemmey on 27 June 2019, 03:30:09 PM
All hail Om

And this reminds it is Small Gods! I think there's one of the witch stories around as well, but I don't have that.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Small God's, I crouch corrected. Sorry.  :-[
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Terry Pratchet - I really cannot connect with that man's humour at all.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Early books were the best.

The Colour of Magic.

Later ones ... not so much.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Audible is pretty good for it, I have most of them on audiobook (and physical book and Kindle...) Always find something new in them every time I indulge.

Audible seem to be working on a lot of free radio drama style content lately too.

Though mostly on audible I go for long books to get the money's worth, some good historical ones as well as a lot of the Great Courses series. Can get ones upwards of 20 hours.

For lighter listening though podcasts seem to be the way to go these days, a lot out there.

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 27 June 2019, 08:18:24 PM
Early books were the best.

The Colour of Magic.

Later ones ... not so much.

Each to their own. I preferred the later ones which were stories with jokes in not a series of jokes strung together to make a narrative.

I liked "The Wee Free Men" and the rest of the Tiffany Aching series too, even though it's aimed at kids.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Quote from: Ithoriel on 28 June 2019, 12:02:13 AM
Each to their own. I preferred the later ones which were stories with jokes in not a series of jokes strung together to make a narrative.

I liked "The Wee Free Men" and the rest of the Tiffany Aching series too, even though it's aimed at kids.

The Tiffany series is good, fresh spin in the witches. I do enjoy the development of the world in the later books and how things tie together more as the world develops and moves on. I find in the first few books he's still finding good feet a bit, as you say more a series of comic moments tired together, but once he hits his stride...

I usually recommend people start with the likes of Wyrd Sisters or Small Gods as they are a lot more accessible than the early ones (unless you have a good grounding in the fantasy tropes).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

fsn

Quote from: mmcv on 27 June 2019, 11:37:36 PM
Audible is pretty good for it, I have most of them on audiobook (and physical book and Kindle...) Always find something new in them every time I indulge.
If you search YouTube there are a lot of aufiobooks on there too - including some from Audible.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Quote from: mmcv on 28 June 2019, 12:23:21 AM
I usually recommend people start with the likes of Wyrd Sisters or Small Gods as they are a lot more accessible than the early ones (unless you have a good grounding in the fantasy tropes).

Yes, the first two are distinctly different from what follows. Mort is the first one where he really gets it right, I think. And I wouldn't bother (again) with anything written from The Last Continent onwards.

mmcv

The Last Continent was a bit naff, lots of parody but not much story, but he was still in full stride in the early 00's after that with books like Night Watch, The Truth and Going Postal.

Leman

My problem is fantasy doesn't float my boat and I just don't get black humour - life's too short and I have other coping mechanisms for dealing with misery.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!