Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

I'd like to thank all the taxpayers here for printing off waterslide decals. Have black, yellow and light green text to see what shows up best on the green paint.

Here's a conundrum.  I was going to paint the top of the movement trays but not the sides, because of the 'billiard table' look.  Now wondering whether to even paint the top (basically the frame) to acknowledge the artificial nature of a movement tray.

I do like the Command Trays Leon has done (from my design!) 40mm circle for the command stand, 3 x 10mm for the AdCs (1 per command point) plus a 40x10 cartouche for the name plate.  My favourite bit of non figure kit ever.

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

Can we have pics, Last Hussar? They're sounding handy!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

The command trays, in particular. But any and all, good wargaming piccies are always welcome :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

The decals are a bit shiny- shinier in the photos. Anyone know a way to matte them without obscuring the writing.

DSC_0437 by Last Hussar, on Flickr

DSC_0436 by Last Hussar, on Flickr

DSC_0435 by Last Hussar, on Flickr

DSC_0434 by Last Hussar, on Flickr

The command stand has 3 on the big disk to who it is a Corps commander.  Division commanders will have 2.
The three individual officers are the Command Point markers.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

12 February 2019, 01:22:24 AM #50 Last Edit: 12 February 2019, 01:25:03 AM by Orcs
Spray matt varnish over it, you might using a very soft brush with the matt varnish.  See link 

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/decal-softener-medium-decal-fix/

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Terry37

The secret to using decals is to first spray a gloss coat and when dry apply the decals. After they have dried hit it with a flat spray and the film portion doesn't show. But I recommend maybe two light coats of fhe flat spray so it doesn't dissolve the decal.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

mmcv

Those look rather good! I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out but seeing them based up they have a grand old look  :-bd

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

I wonder how much effort would be involved with 'painting' the strips between the figures & beneath the boots to match the green bases :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'd undercoat (black of course), then paint the strip green.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Superb!

Having just done decals on some Blood Red Skies stuff (well, left over Zvesda 1/200th bombers left over from an uncompleted and now mostly sold on project) I feel the annoyance. i'm told there's a brush on decal remover that just evaporates the clear portions away?

fred.

Quote from: Terry37 on 12 February 2019, 03:41:27 AM
The secret to using decals is to first spray a gloss coat and when dry apply the decals. After they have dried hit it with a flat spray and the film portion doesn't show. But I recommend maybe two light coats of fhe flat spray so it doesn't dissolve the decal.

Terry

This.

The problem is tiny air bubbles under the decal that gives the silvery look. I've found that brush on varnish works just as well. A small bit of gloss varnish where the decal needs to go, let it dry then mat varnish over the whole figure / vehicle at the end.

I've used future floor varnish as often as not, as this dries quickly. But the formula seems to have changed.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

The green between the figures is a different green, which is why it looks like I haven't done them. Will go back with the base green.

If I use a brush on matt varnish will that work?

GNU PTerry