Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

The cavalry are my only reservation too, 6 on 40mm base does remind me of a kitchen slicer. However they are unpainted.

When the test horse and guns are painted up, I'll post more pics. I also found the drums for the infantry. I thought they were  just bits from the cutting at first.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

Oops! Nice to know for anyone else who ventures down that particular MDF path. I looked at them and thought they might be rather nice to use with the Perry's Travel Battle, to give a real old school toy soldier feel.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Last Hussar

Come across my first problem.

They are so light that I've just scattered the Empress Dragoons with a can of spray undercoat  :o :o

Need to get cheap floor tiles as spraying table, coz they are sticky!

If that doesn't work its going to be brush, which rather ruins my plans for the worlds biggest Austrian Army (an army even Orcs could paint in less than 5 years)

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

Spot of blue tac on the bottom of the strip should hold them!

I've used them to fill in periods I wouldn't otherwise have gone for - and in numbers that just aren't doable in lead!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

My housemate suggested the same, and have already done it. Will be painting Empress Dragoons tomorrow.

Will also be ordering bases from Pendraken in next week or so.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Another lesson.

Don't undercoat the horses. The MDF is a nice chestnut colour, and now I've got to paint the coats again. Will just use white paint pen to undercoat just rider and tack.

Only one side is smooth, the edge is ridged. Not too bad on infantry, but there is a lot of horse to paint/colour in.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

A wider nibbed pen might help - splot for each side of the horse (sort of rump-left- rump right), think stripe down theoutaide  legs, same at front? "Gaps" left for a suggestion of tack and reins etc.  Although if you've undercoated white that doesn't really work, I guess and you're stuck with actually painting the beasts? But at least you can colour in the saddle cloths etc!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

Anywhere that has been cut is rough, this includes the "front" f the head and tail on the smooth side where the wood has burned off to make it thinner.

For the next lot of horses I'm literally going to colour rider and tack in white, then go over only them with colours.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

Yeah, I know, I've a load of them :D

I guess the cut MDF is probably close enough, and it should work well with the paint pens for colouring in the detail.

Just thinking about what's going to be quicker but "undercoating" with a pen for just the tack & rider is probably as quick as spraying anyway, I bet :D

Last Hussar

By the time you've repainted its not worth spraying.

Glad I bought test strips before spraying a hundred more horses!

GNU PTerry

Shutuphippie

Walt's flats are fab. I painted up some Austrians for him when they first came out and we were playing a rather large Volley and Bayonet  Napoleonic campaign. 😁.  Not that he needed much help btw as his own painting is utterly superb, the man has the eyes of hawk.

I have just received my copy of the 100th WSS mag and they have a nice little review of the figures  in that 😁 so fingers crossed he'll pick up loads of orders from that

Andy

2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Last Hussar

I do t do them justice.

Mind you, I say that about a lot of figures...

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

So, I'm turning this into my 'project thread'.

French army 'recruiting' courtesy of Walt.

Have ordered (surprisingly cheap) movement trays from a certain 'Dark Lord' as Nobby insists on calling him. Most helpful with my desire for some non standard ones for Commanders, along with a big pack of 40 x 20 bases, plus 20 and 40 x 10 for the markers. I've over sized the move trays to allow the markers with unit info (name, division, traits etc) to be placed along the back.  Commanders will be on 40mm disks with up to 3 AdCs to act as Command Point markers

(actually worried that what I asked for isn't what I meant! What if my diagram of the Command bases was duff?)

Have been fiddling with using acetone/alcohol pen combo to transfer laser prints onto painted mdf. Its not really suitable. Its hard not to rub the paint off or leave bits of the paper behind.

(Laser print/photocopy something mirror image, Place on surface to take the print, use acetone to soak the paper, and blender pen to activate the process - acetone on its own doesn't work.)

So have bitten the bullet and bought laser printer water slide decal paper to make up the markers. Also experimented with a white gel pen, but not sure I can write neat enough on a couple of hundred bases.

Just waiting for lots of MDF to drop through the door now, bases, trays, soldiers and storage trays! Landlady says its my job to sort out food for a couple of thousand Frenchmen and stabling for a couple of hundred horses!

Of the test strips - Finished the Empress Dragoons, but as of yet, no bases! They don't look quite as thin painted! The two I didn't spray undercoat definitely look better. Photos when the bases arrive.

Started on the cannons. Think I might try my pin vice drill on the hub to put a pin in to mount the wheels rather than glue alone.

The OOB im working too has the hussars - 5th and 6th in sky blue. I think I will do an AdC as the 8th, so it looks like the little chap on the left.  Luckily AdCs cant be shot - they are just point markers, or Orcs would insist on playing me just so he could shoot the Little Hussar!

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

;D

I found glue alone fine with the cannon, limbers etc - once glued to a base as well they're small enough but with enough area to join they won't break. Well they might but only if you stamped on them or something.

Good luck with the bases etc :)

Did you sketch it out in the pub? Blame the beer if it goes wrong!

Last Hussar

No- working out stuff for Wargames is why the Civil Service has computers.  :d

Likewise photocopies and printers.  How do you think I know about all the extra facilities - mirroring images, making booklets etc - our photocopier has?  ;D

GNU PTerry