Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM Last Edit: 09 January 2019, 08:59:04 PM by Last Hussar
So I bought a couple of test packs of Walt's mdf napoleonics.  

He says they are 6mm, but with the caveat they are a bit bigger- I measure at 8-9mm with the base strip. (the bases are 40x20s)

I bought artists pens from Hobby Craft (Windsor and Newton Promarker - 12 for £20, chisel tip at one end, pointy one at the other), and after a white undercoat coloured in, staying between the lines! I can do this quicker, and (a bit) more neatly than painting (I hate painting). Hobby craft also do a 2.5l RUB, with a tray in. 1 compartment takes the pens (and painting glasses) while the other 4 have the figures.

Did a test strip one night, then Monday did the other 11 (2 were half started).  Basically did 88 figures in an evening!

I think I could well buy the rest of the Army now! Not only are they ideal for FoG:N (for the '15mm measurements - why do rules writers not understand the rational for small figures is often more in the same foot print!), but that battalion is the width of a BP unit when playing at the Inch measurement scale, not the sub in cms that SJ, I and Tring club do.

The strips are 42mm - I assume that is to do with laying out efficiently, so I clip the end men off, and put them behind as file closers.

Next up - Dragoon test paint.

Thanks to Sunjester for the loan of bases - There will be a order coming your way, Leon!
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Last Hussar

I've decided not to flock or paint base edges - I'm going for the 'gentleman's billiard table game' look, so a bit more styalised.

GNU PTerry

lowlylowlycook

At table top distance they look quite nice.

Westmarcher

As my painting gets slower and slower, these look like quite an interesting alternative for getting mass armies on the table (how much, by the way?). Coincidentally, another new alternative was recently posted on the Peter Pig forum. As someone on that forum said, "Are flats making a come back?" Here is a link and YouTube video:-
https://wofun-games.com/landing.html

Quote from: Last Hussar on 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

... why do rules writers not understand the rational for small figures is often more in the same foot print!, but that battalion is the width of a BP unit when playing at the Inch measurement scale, not the sub in cms that SJ, I and Tring club do.

I know. Could it be that despite any new innovations they may introduce in their rules, many 28mm rules writers still appear to be wedded to the old fashioned 'one figure equals so many men' concept and so think that's what happens when you move down the scales?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Last Hussar

Quotemany 28mm rules writers still appear to be wedded to the old fashioned 'one figure equals so many men' concept

It annoys me something rotten. The BASE=men, unless you are doing figure removal

Each pack contains 12 strips of 8 infantry or 3 cavalry. Infantry packs include a command strip of 2 x 4 figure commands @ £2
Cavalry are side on - they look a little narrow head on to me. I looked at gluing 2 together, but found the heads are carved narrower, so it looked rather odd - like cojoined twins.
Guns are 4 for £1.50, with 2 limbers and 6 horses. Skirmishers are also side on, because they are firing - 4 on a strip - 25p
Some figures sub for other countries as they are so similar.

Of course the German Austrians will be even quicker!

GNU PTerry

Steve J

They are lovely figures and I really like the billiard table look you've gone for :).

Womble67

They look really good

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I'm assuming these are from Commission.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

I've bought the thinnest artist pen I could find, and done between the legs, and waistband.
Ordered an army (French III Corps 1809 Grande Armee for FoG:N Another 15 6-base units, plus 3 Cavalry and guns and officers etc)

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Walt replied to my order with
Quotewow. That is jumping in with both feet.
I pointed out 'part an army' is no use!

Fair Warning - Leon is in danger of losing his 'Most Helpful Retailer' title!

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

They've come up a treat! I really rate the Commission mdf stuff - it "paints" up very nicely and the price is awesome :D

Any pics of the shading drawn on yet?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'm ambivalent about these, wont be buying any as I already have large french, russian and British armies from Irregular/Heroics, so no need for more 6mm stuff. The infantry look good, but I find the cavalry a bit odd.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021