Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Lockdown helped, and being Austrians.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Did you know the inside of the box of Aldi own brand Wheat (not Weeta) biscuits (not bix) is the same colour as MDF?

How do I know?  I've made 'lids' for the movement trays - I can leave the marker tiles in the trays, stack them up and rubber band the lid on the top, meaning I don't have to spend time at the start of a game putting them in.  I might make card 'unit templates' to put in so when unpacked its easy to see what figures go where - especially for the Austrians who have a wide array of units and uniforms.

GNU PTerry

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Gentlemen of the Officer's Mess,

and Nobby,

Advice please.

Thinking of getting a French Ally - which one do you suggest. Nice flags are an advantage. One that I could use as just a Division within a corps would be nice.

and secondly

Painting Brunswickers. Would you go black, or could/should I use the very dark grey - Citadel 'Standard'?

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Brunswickers - if they're 3D figures I'm sold on Citadels black Contrast paint - works really well!

If it's the MDF... I'd go dark grey-black, give a little bit of light to catch the eye?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

paulr

Definitely dark grey-black, I hardly ever use black now, certainly not for significant areas
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Brunswickers - in theory quick to paint. You could ask Walt to go over the uiniform are lightly with the laser - then they would only need a dry brush of grey.
"
BUT he might charge you extra as "pre painted " pre- burnt?
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

I'm thinking Hesse-Darmstatd. I like the flag (similar to Prussian and Russian).  5 Battalions, so just 1 unit in FoG.

Also thinking might do base edges green, but not movement trays.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

A good project is a French army with no frenchmen in it other than the Marshals..
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

03 May 2020, 10:18:14 AM #254 Last Edit: 03 May 2020, 12:13:26 PM by Last Hussar
VII Corps is 8 Small units of Bavarian infantry with 1 large and 1 small unit of cavalry
VIII Corps for Wurttemberg is 5 small infantry and 3 small cavalry
Each are in 2 Divisions
That is basically a perfectly good FoGN army - 18 units in 4 commands, and one that can be played by two people.  They would play exactly the same as French - the troops are as good in the army book, but more colourful. AND with 2 larger flags per unit, which differ between units

Tempting...    :- 

I've got 16 French infantry units, need a couple more Light, and more Cavalry.  I'd also like the Imperial Guard- that's just 6 Infantry plus 4 Cavalry (and for FoG only 2 Cavalry).  A unit is only £2.  £60 gives me 3 'different' Corps.

Very tempting.  :d

GNU PTerry