Pendraken acquires Castle Arts 10mm Japanese buildings!

Started by Leon, 07 January 2019, 11:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

There is a protocol on this forum. Newbies usually introduce themselves first, as opposed to cold posting a X ref to a commercial site. :-

Do you game 10mm Samurai ?  Do you have a name? Location? Serial number?  ;)

Paper

I'm in the states. I have been working on 10mm Star Wars as they match well with the 1-144 Bandai vehicles. Pendraken was good enough to help me find some roughly equivalent models in their range.

I'm a bit interested in the up coming 4ground nepolionics colaboration with pendraken. Terrain at this scale is very compelling

Mostly I'm interested in samurai and the test of honor game system. I like the idea of building small high quality senic boards to play it on. Also while it's a skirmish game they do large bases with three men Per stand.

ToH has a few really compelling unit choices like ronin, monks, bandits, ninja, female samurai that I feel really flesh out the period.

Leon

Thanks for the link, we'll have a look at that and we'll be putting up a sculpting list for the range once we get closer to starting it in April.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Matt J

Hi Paper

Welcome to the forum, I have test if honor myself but haven't got past the ooh shiny phase and actually done anything with it. Do you know if warlord are going to re release the figs in the future?

I'll also be in for Pendraken samurai by the bucket  :)

Matt

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Paper

Warlord already markets and packages the plastic ToH minis for one of their other rules systems (I think it's pike and shott). So I assume they may re box their metals in time.

Hey maybe pike and shot would be another good rule system for 10mm samurai.

One thing a 10mm ToH may be difficult for is playing interiors of buildings.

Are the castle arts terrain hollow?  If not I'm sure I could laser cut little floor plans.

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Paper on 06 February 2019, 07:42:10 PM
Warlord already markets and packages the plastic ToH minis for one of their other rules systems (I think it's pike and shott). So I assume they may re box their metals in time.

Hey maybe pike and shot would be another good rule system for 10mm samurai.

One thing a 10mm ToH may be difficult for is playing interiors of buildings.

Are the castle arts terrain hollow?  If not I'm sure I could laser cut little floor plans.

Not sure if you're interested in card models but there are quite a few and I'm sure that some have interior details,

https://web.archive.org/web/20140414000432/http://www.papermodels.at/
Try the Asian Castle and Gate, there are instruction files as well.

http://hamapaper2.zouri.jp/thumblink2/thumb55.html

https://papermau.blogspot.com/search?q=japanese

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

FierceKitty

Quote from: Paper on 06 February 2019, 03:26:04 PM
I'm in the states. I have been working on 10mm Star Wars as they match well with the 1-144 Bandai vehicles. Pendraken was good enough to help me find some roughly equivalent models in their range.

I'm a bit interested in the up coming 4ground nepolionics colaboration with pendraken. Terrain at this scale is very compelling

Mostly I'm interested in samurai and the test of honor game system. I like the idea of building small high quality senic boards to play it on. Also while it's a skirmish game they do large bases with three men Per stand.

ToH has a few really compelling unit choices like ronin, monks, bandits, ninja, female samurai that I feel really flesh out the period.

Female samurai units don't just flesh out the period, they give it lightsabres and rings of power too. (I was going to stick with the carnal metaphors, but the resulting imagery became too nauseating)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Female Samurai ?

Honestly ?....You just know I might fall for that.

Nah....Alexander, you're pulling my leg, (Gerroff !!!!) because you know how hopeless I am as regards 'history'.

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

My point is rather that there were a VERY few Japanese woman warriors (and probably some we shall never hear of), but units of them are only fantasy. A pity, since I'd like them to have existed, as much as anyone.

There are plenty of exciting cases of female troops in history, mind you.

Techno

Well....

Being an historical 'twerp'.....I do like your thinking. Alexander.  ;)

I like that !! :)

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

From my reading I gather that the wives of samurai were sometimes given weapons training so they could defend the family holdings in their husbands absence but bands or units of female ronin (would any self respecting daimyo deliberately take on a female samurai?) weren't thing as far as I know.

Not sure I fancy 10mm gang fights but larger skirmish certainly appeals.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I take it everyone knows the story of Nadezhda Durova? That one's a right jaw-dropper, and it's actually true.

Not that she was Japanese.

Ithoriel

Yekaterina Budanova,
Lydia Litvyak,
Roza Shanina,
Rufina Gasheva,
Marina Raskova
Natalya Meklin,
Mariya Vasilyevna Oktyabrskaya

The roll-call of Russian women who fought (and often died) for The Motherland in WW2 gives lie to the assertion, made by several "Colonel Blimp" types from my childhood, that women could never make it in the military. So, it's not that I don't think women could have been samurai, just that the spirit of the times ensured there weren't units of them. 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

quasar42

[/quote]

I have the big castle and it is indeed hollow. Don't know about the others.