Pendraken acquires Castle Arts 10mm Japanese buildings!

Started by Leon, 07 January 2019, 11:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quasar42

On the horse size question, my personal view is that miniature aesthetics trump physical accuracy.  Not just for horses but also other aspects of a mini.  Sometimes trying to make it physically accurate just does not look "right" on a mini.  But that is just me.

quasar42

And one more pose suggestion: Large rectangular banners. The current banners are on the small-side.

Leon

Quote from: quasar42 on 08 January 2019, 09:41:38 PM
On the horse size question, my personal view is that miniature aesthetics trump physical accuracy.  Not just for horses but also other aspects of a mini.  Sometimes trying to make it physically accurate just does not look "right" on a mini.  But that is just me.

You're right and we saw that with the Mongols to an extent.  The smaller horses meant that the riders ended up being slightly smaller as well so that they looked 'right'. 

Quote from: quasar42 on 08 January 2019, 09:44:49 PM
And one more pose suggestion: Large rectangular banners. The current banners are on the small-side.

The banners will be much better, the old ones are too small and the poles for them are nowhere near long enough to mount on the figures properly, so we can address both of those with the new sculpts.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Aksu

kabrank

Would it be worth looking at casting the Sashimo banners onto some of the figures as fixing 100's can be a pain [but equally a pain to remove if not wanted].

May be worth running a poll on this.

Looking at the Russo Japanese Range whilst Russians from other periods can bulk out the Russians the Japanese are the key to a revamp I suspect.

I have held off actually starting this project hoping for Japanese new figures and artillery as these are difficult to proxy from other ranges

Note that with the Age of Rifles rule set for this period and the growing popularity of BBB there may be more interest in the future as 10mm is perfect for both these sets.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: kabrank on 09 January 2019, 08:33:55 AM
Would it be worth looking at casting the Sashimo banners onto some of the figures as fixing 100's can be a pain [but equally a pain to remove if not wanted].

May be worth running a poll on this.

Looking at the Russo Japanese Range whilst Russians from other periods can bulk out the Russians the Japanese are the key to a revamp I suspect.

I have held off actually starting this project hoping for Japanese new figures and artillery as these are difficult to proxy from other ranges

Note that with the Age of Rifles rule set for this period and the growing popularity of BBB there may be more interest in the future as 10mm is perfect for both these sets.

It looks as though the answer is to offer figures with or without sashimono (if cast-on is a possibility).

Unsolicited advice, worth every penny you paid for it.

Leon

On the banners, I don't think we'd be looking to cast them onto the figures.  With the banners needing to be at a 90 degree angle out of the back of the figure, it would cause casting problems with some of the poses. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

In that case, can the banner poles have the 90 degree turn needed built is, as the old ones could be a right pain! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jaztez

I would also love to see some russo japanese war love.

Its a period I'd love to do with big battle rules.

Others have said, with BBB out there, you could get more interest now.  Plus you could easily mod black powder for it, and I'd be happy to supply mods to the forum, as I have similar already for Russian civil war and ww1 Africa.

I get the costs are high to get them to market, so I'd say to Leon, why not run another crowd funding forum post, like with the napoleonics, to gauge interest? You don't have to go ahead if people don't meet the break even threshold.

You're talking, maybe, three Japanese infantry, three command, and two lots of Russians, more formal, and ragged, to get started. People can proxy some Russian stuff.

So if you're considering redoing them, you could count me in for like 1000 figures for each side!
My historical wargaming site: https://miniaturewar.games

fsn

Quote from: jaztez on 10 January 2019, 10:28:24 AM
I would also love to see some russo japanese war love.
You do know that sounds like niche adult viewing?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kabrank

I think Russo Japanese Japanese will also need an mg [possible simple conversion from WW2] and the field gun may need a check for scale [the gun is particularly important as the barrell/axel vertical alignment is unusual wrt other guns available for WW1 and 19C (but would be good for some other 19C forces]

jaztez

I agree.

If it was on the radar to consider, I guess a RJW range would (roughly) need:

Russians in 1881 uniform
Russiians in Gymnastiorka (could the WW1 Russians do?)
Russians in big furry hats/greatcoats (I believe there are some Afghans that can be used with a jacket on)

Japanese early war uniform
Late war uniform

Artillery for both sides
Hotchkiss MG's for japanese
Maxims on carriages for Russians

High command pack for each side

Quote from: kabrank on 11 January 2019, 09:01:30 AM
I think Russo Japanese Japanese will also need an mg [possible simple conversion from WW2] and the field gun may need a check for scale [the gun is particularly important as the barrell/axel vertical alignment is unusual wrt other guns available for WW1 and 19C (but would be good for some other 19C forces]

Shedman

Also for the RJW

Observation Balloon

Searchlight & crew

Chinese Honghuzi

jaztez

Lol very ambitious.

I'll stick with hoping for new infantry.

Quote from: Shedman on 11 January 2019, 09:38:04 PM
Also for the RJW

Observation Balloon

Searchlight & crew

Chinese Honghuzi

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.