Pendraken acquires Castle Arts 10mm Japanese buildings!

Started by Leon, 07 January 2019, 11:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

FierceKitty

08 January 2019, 09:52:39 AM #16 Last Edit: 08 January 2019, 10:09:11 AM by FierceKitty
Can I put in a vote for a few Japanese additions, then?

1)  Generals with fancy helmets (esp. Hideyoshi and Tadakatsu)
2)  Monks with two-handed hexagonal clubs with studs on them
3)  Monks in armour firing muskets, and possibly bows
4)  Ashigaru in conical hats/helmets with pikes
5)  Civvies

I'm sure other voices will be raised alongside mine....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Dr Dave

Those do look splendid. I can see some Shermans and Pershings driving past some of them on Okinawa!

SV52

I can imagine some very picturesque tables using these, so much so they'd never be taken apart.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Womble67

Congratulations, as you are sculpting new figures, it would be nice if you had a rule set to go with the package as well

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Quote from: Dr Dave on 08 January 2019, 09:57:16 AM
Those do look splendid. I can see some Shermans and Pershings driving past some of them on Okinawa!
Dammit! I was just talking myself out of them!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

kabrank

Very nice indeed.

Started a city idea with 15mm Oshiro buildings and currently owned 15mm armies.  Too large to do in the end but this looks interesting and could include a 19 Century slant as well.

Some new Russo Japanese Japanese would be nice as these can cover 19 Century rebellions and 1904 [yes I know another project!]

quasar42

Congratulations on the acquisition. These are beautiful buildings. I own a couple of them and like them a lot. Will you be acquiring also their figures range?

quasar42

I see that you actually answer my question in your announcement. Revamping / expanding your range is also good. In addition to the poses already mentioned. Ashigaru arquebus in firing poses would be great. And the current cavalry is on fairly small horses, which could benefit from some bulking up. 

sultanbev

mmcv

I'd been seriously planning to do samurai as my first 6mm project...now though...  :-X

Ithoriel

Quote from: quasar42 on 08 January 2019, 10:51:12 AM
<snip>
And the current cavalry is on fairly small horses, which could benefit from some bulking up. 

My understanding was that Samurai horses were on the small side. So, possibly not?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 January 2019, 02:09:40 PM
My understanding was that Samurai horses were on the small side. So, possibly not?

My understanding was the same. I recall reading was some controversy over whether the horses would even have been big enough to charge with a fully armoured warrior on their back or if they were just for transportation. I think they did some live experiments and turned out they were hardy enough to charge at a good speed despite being on the small side. Though probably wouldn't have seen the mass cavalry charges like you would in Europe in widespread usage.

Edit: found the link of where I read it http://gunbai-militaryhistory.blogspot.com/2018/05/did-cavalry-existed-in-japan.html?m=1

Glorfindel

Very, very good news.   

I had previously looked at doing a 10mm Samurai project but wasn't
enthused about the Pendraken poses and ended up starting in 6mm.

This will change things.

What would be very helpful is some kind of giuidance on painting these
buildings - not sure if Pendraken would want to include something like
this on the shop website (on the same page as the model buildings).

Just a thought.

Phil

Leon

Thanks for all of the comments so far!

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 January 2019, 09:52:39 AM
Can I put in a vote for a few Japanese additions, then?

1)  Generals with fancy helmets (esp. Hideyoshi and Tadakatsu)
2)  Monks with two-handed hexagonal clubs with studs on them
3)  Monks in armour firing muskets, and possibly bows
4)  Ashigaru in conical hats/helmets with pikes
5)  Civvies

I'm sure other voices will be raised alongside mine....

We'll be taking some requests in the nxt month or so, when we start to work up the sculpting list.

Quote from: Womble67 on 08 January 2019, 10:09:46 AM
Congratulations, as you are sculpting new figures, it would be nice if you had a rule set to go with the package as well.

I think it'll be a while before I commit to another ruleset!   :D  We can look at the options out there already and see if we can recommend some for folks though.

Quote from: kabrank on 08 January 2019, 10:32:02 AM
Some new Russo Japanese Japanese would be nice as these can cover 19 Century rebellions and 1904 [yes I know another project!]

The Russo-Japanese range is on our radar to be redone as well but there's never been much demand for it as a period.  We'll be getting it done though, as I want to replace all of the old sculpts still lurking in the catalogue.

Quote from: quasar42 on 08 January 2019, 10:51:12 AM
In addition to the poses already mentioned. Ashigaru arquebus in firing poses would be great. And the current cavalry is on fairly small horses, which could benefit from some bulking up.  

At least one of the new arquebusier sculpts will be firing, no worries there.  We'll also be using the larger horses from our FPW/Naps/ACW ranges, but...

Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 January 2019, 02:09:40 PM

...we'll have a look at this as well to make sure they look right.

Quote from: Glorfindel on 08 January 2019, 03:59:13 PM
What would be very helpful is some kind of giuidance on painting these buildings - not sure if Pendraken would want to include something like this on the shop website (on the same page as the model buildings).

That's an interesting idea, we'll have to see what we can do there.  I'll ask the original owner who did the painting and see if we can get some info.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!