Adding images from Google Photos

Started by mmcv, 04 January 2019, 06:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Hey,

I've been encountering a few issues using images linked from Google Photos but think I've gotten to the bottom of it.

Thought I'd stick up a post for anyone else who's been having similar problems.

In order for images from Google Photos to be used, they have to be shared, however just generating the sharing link isn't enough, you have to then copy the image address in.

The issue I think I was having was even though I was using images that had been shared and was copying the image address, it was still copying my private link for the image address rather than the shared one.

Therefore, you need to access the shared photo while not logged into Google Photos yourself to get the publically shared link.

How that works in practice is for a single image you would need to:

• Click on the image you want
  • Press the share button
  • Choose "create link"
  • Copy that link and open it in another browser or incognito window that you're not signed into Photos on
  • Click on the image on that link
  • Right click on the image and chose "Copy image address"
  • Paste the address in between the img tags in the forum post
  • The address length should be only a couple of lines, if it looks like a paragraph it's probably the wrong link

If you've a number of photos to do you'll make life easier by adding them to an album, sharing the album, then opening it up while logged out and going through the photos there to copy the links. Means you only have to do the sharing step once.

The important bit to do is make sure you look at it while not logged into Photos, as when you're logged in it seems to redirect you to the non-shared personal link.

I'll update this further if I find out anything more, or an easier way to do it in future!

lowlylowlycook

FWIW, I find that Imgur makes linking to photos pretty easy, you can even copy the link with the [img] tags already applied.

fred.

I use google photos and don't have to go through all that process. I just right click and grab the image url. The album does need to be shared first. The really long URL certainly can work.

I have had some problems with images not showing, but these have always been resolved - often by the bizarre method of showing the info palette on the right of the image.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 04 January 2019, 07:06:01 PM
FWIW, I find that Imgur makes linking to photos pretty easy, you can even copy the link with the [img] tags already applied.

I may end up using imgur, though Photos is handy as it's straight from my phone camera. Adding to the album means it works pretty well.

Quote from: fred. on 04 January 2019, 07:28:15 PM
I use google photos and don't have to go through all that process. I just right click and grab the image url. The album does need to be shared first. The really long URL certainly can work.

I have had some problems with images not showing, but these have always been resolved - often by the bizarre method of showing the info palette on the right of the image.

Hmm, I'll try looking at the info pallette sometime but any time I tried to direct link it worked for me but not anyone else.

Noktu

I've really liked using Flickr, it lets you post a resized image as a link in BBCode. I find that really useful.

mollinary

Now, no sniggering at the back there!   I take my photos on my ipad, and they go into a library on my ipad. When I post on either Facebook or Tapatalk, there is a little camera icon available on the post. When I click it, it asks if I want to post from a library. I say yes, and automatically I can post anything from my library. It is so simple even I can use it!  Is it beyond the wit of man to have something similar on the Dark Lord's forum?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

mmcv

You can attach directly to a post here using the advanced options, but there's a limit on the size and number. Space to store things can be expensive and the amount of photos bandied about here could add up the storage costs pretty quickly I imagine! I suspect that's why there's limits.

mollinary

Quote from: mmcv on 14 January 2019, 07:59:56 PM
You can attach directly to a post here using the advanced options, but there's a limit on the size and number. Space to store things can be expensive and the amount of photos bandied about here could add up the storage costs pretty quickly I imagine! I suspect that's why there's limits.

"Advanced Options"?  There are "advanced options"?   :o :o :o :o

mmcv

Quote from: mollinary on 14 January 2019, 08:32:23 PM
“Advanced Options”?  There are “advanced options”?   :o :o :o :o

See attached, additional options even, not advanced!

mollinary

Sadly, it flatters to deceive!  It asks me to post from my library, but then tells me that my photo is more than twice the maximum size.

Shame.

mmcv

Yeah limits are pretty small sadly, so not a huge amount of use unless you edit your images to be smaller!