21 Sarfarosh: Saragarhi 1897 on Netflix

Started by Shedman, 04 January 2019, 02:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedman

Netflix are currently showing 21 Sarfarosh: Saragarhi 1897 - a 65 episode (! :o)  Indian series about the last stand of 21 soldiers from the 36th Sikh Regiment at Saragarhi

Leman

I started watching that, but switched off when the British officers appeared - such unbelievably strangled upper class accents. If they were that stupid how come they ran a subcontinent for 150 years?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

Will give it  a watch. I kinda like Bollywood stuff though like British series from earlier days when portraying foreigners I think the Indian audiences except 19th century British characters  to behave and sound a certain way
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Shedman

@Leman I understand your point and it's probably not to everyone's taste

However it's not written from a British perspective which makes it interesting and having watched tosh like Brave Heart and The Patriot I find this pretty even-handed in it's portrayal of the British in India

It's also a really good counter-point to western films like Gunga Din, North West Frontier and The Man Who Would Be King with their token locals , Gunga Din,Gupta the train driver and Billy Fish

As a last stand it is pretty epic, 21 vs 6000+, when compared to Thermopylae, The Alamo, CamarĂ³n, Isandlwana etc

At our club we always refight CamarĂ³n on the anniversary, there's a very good chance that we will take up Saragarhi on it's anniversary - it might even be in 10mm

Terry37

I've been debating about that one, but may give it a try. Have to agree with comments that misrepresent British leadership though - that can be a real turnoff!

Oh and please do not even mention The Patriot!!! Gag me with a spoon that is so awful. I did like he one scene where Mel and his two youngsters battled to release his older son, as I imagine that was probably what close up fighting might have been like. But everything else %^*&#$. And the battle at the end which is supposed to be Cowpens, but had more people involved than the entire D-Day invasion!!! I've walked Cowpens and it is not a large battlefield. Anyway, a truly horrible movie.

Brave Heart is not much better! Only saw it once and that was enough, or once too many!!! After Mad Max, I am not sure poor Mel made any really good movies. I do like Apocalypto, but then he's not in it!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And don't to get the excellent 'Chicken Run' which is on the up later right now!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Shedman