ECW Pikemen without pikes

Started by Shedman, 03 January 2019, 05:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

This subject comes up every so often but I don't think we'd be looking to go down the route of open-hands on these figures.  We might try and lengthen them if we do some revamping though.  I think if you're someone who's happy to attach 100 pikes to figures, it's probably not too much extra work to clip 100 cast-on pikes off before attaching your own.  But with open hands, someone who doesn't like attaching pikes doesn't have any other option.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Don't forget to lengthen the foot standard bearers pole as well if you do that revamp
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

I definitely prefer figures without pikes

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

We had this discussion when I had first gotten on the forum. I thought it would be a trivial issue to clip the pikes, open the hand and add a pike. I was wrong. OK, not completely wrong. Much depends on the figure. If the pike is held away from the body (the only points of contact being the base and hand) it is reasonably easy but getting the hand open takes a bit of work. Sometimes it can be drilled sometimes it has to be cut.

When the pike is attached directly to the leg and/or body, it is a pain to do. I have tried both cutting away the whole thing or cutting the top of the pike off, drilling a socket and adding the brass rod. Lots of time consuming work!

Brass rod looks the best but I live (mostly) with shorter, molded on pikes (heresy) because they are are long enough to indicate the figure is a pikeman. If moulded  on you are still faced with having to deal with trying to "stiffen" the pike (giving Orcs, et. al. an opening here  ;) )

I'm happy either way.

Incidently. Mollinary's masses of long (correctly proportioned) pikes are the cat's meow!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on