ECW Pikemen without pikes

Started by Shedman, 03 January 2019, 05:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedman

I'd like to see the ECW pikemen packs done without pikes so i can add my own pikes - pretty please

Ben Waterhouse

Generally for all pike troops throughout the ranges.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Dave Fielder

11 January 2019, 06:50:11 PM #2 Last Edit: 11 January 2019, 06:52:30 PM by Dave Fielder
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

pierre the shy

Just to be different I ended up using Pendraken Scots ECW Pikemen because they had molded pikes attached  ;) 

Other manufacturers use open hands for their pikemen but the small size of the open hand means that I would have to faff around with gluing 200+ pikes which kind of put me off the other figures. Also I like the march/attack pose of the Pendraken pike men which gives the unit a more "aggressive" stance (I only used that pose) compared to the "stand still with my grounded pike" pose.   

FWIW all the pikemen in the newish Pendraken LOA range are open handed.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

Quote from: pierre the shy on 11 January 2019, 09:18:03 PM

FWIW all the pikemen in the newish Pendraken LOA range are open handed.

Funny, they don't look Newish....No, it's OK, some of my best friends are Newish....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

I must admit the thought of gluing pikes to 10mm figures would put me off doing a pik army.  I accept that wire pikes liik better, but its moulded pikes all the time for me .
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mollinary

For me, I have no problem with moulded pikes, my problem is with their length.  The Pendraken pikes are a scale 10-11ft long.  Even if cut down, as apparently happened, they should be 14-15ft long, and if not cut down, up to 18ft.  It is why I use AIM/Minifigs pikemen, even in units where the musketeers are Pendraken.  It would be brilliant to Pendraken pikemen with real pikes. If that is not possible for some technical reason, the. Open handed would be the next bets.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

From 'where I sit', I see this as VERY difficult choice for Leon to make.

I would guess that it's around a 50/50 split from those who prefer 'open hands' .....and you have to make your own  'poles'...and those that prefer already made pikes.
If Leon had unlimited funds...I'm sure he'd go for two variants, to please everyone.

Sadly not really viable......So who wins ??

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Lazy tho' I be, I think in the long run being able to attach sturdier pikes (and lances) that don't turn into noodles is preferable.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

Quote from: Shedman on 03 January 2019, 05:52:18 PM
I'd like to see the ECW pikemen packs done without pikes so i can add my own pikes - pretty please

I agree.  I cut all the 'telegraph poles' from my ECW, which are a bit too short anyway, and replaced them with brass rod.  Same thing with my Normans/Saxons and their lances/spears.  Not really a challenge as part of the general cleaning and prepping but it would be better to have 'open hands'.   

Orcs

I can fully see why some  want to replace Pikes/spears , but I have too big a lead/plastic/ resin mounting to glue on individual pikes or spears on 10mm figures, let alone cut off the ones already on the figure. I want to get my figures on the table not spend hours doing the pikes/spears.

But if your going to do this I guess open handed figures are best.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mollinary

I can live with either, but if you go for moulded on, just produce some which are the right length! 
With open hands, everyone can make their own choice.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: Orcs on 12 January 2019, 08:26:35 PM
I can fully see why some  want to replace Pikes/spears , but I have too big a lead/plastic/ resin mounting to glue on individual pikes or spears on 10mm figures, let alone cut off the ones already on the figure. I want to get my figures on the table not spend hours doing the pikes/spears.

But if your going to do this I guess open handed figures are best.

+1 Orcs....I am using the pike figures that I have as depicted as according to Stuart Reid's books, which I personally believe are largely correct, both the Irish Brigade and Covenanters seem to have preferred to use shortened pikes anyway.

OTOH I think that highlanders were a bit more effective than Reid gives them credit for in his ECW books.   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Kiwidave

Wouldn't a pikeman without a pike just be 'man'?  :D

Steve J

Moulded on for me as it's one less thing to worry about or, even more frustrating, knocking off in a game.