Late WW2 British

Started by SV52, 14 January 2019, 04:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Researching a new project on 2nd Army '44/'45 and I'm stuck.

One unit I want to depict is 6th Guards Tank Brigade, 3rd (Tank) Bn. Scots Guards.  My research finds that they deployed Crusader III AA fitted with Mk I Bofors 40 mm anti-aircraft guns no turret, the gun mounted directly on the hull top with its standard shield:

I suppose a conversion is possible by doing surgery on a Crusader model and a Bofors model but not being that good I could go through a lot of them!

Another is the British 3.7in AA Gun used by the Heavy AA batteries of the RA.

I imagine conversions are possible by cobbling together German and Russian guns but beyond me.

So pretty please for both of these  :D
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Not denying your research abilities but ....Crusader AA with 20mm turrets, or the centaur equivalent, 40mm ones were in Lt AA rgts. And chopping and 88 Flak or 85mm AA into a 3.7 would be murderous! 

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

SV52

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 January 2019, 04:42:26 PM
Not denying your research abilities but ....Crusader AA with 20mm turrets, or the centaur equivalent, 40mm ones were in Lt AA rgts. And chopping and 88 Flak or 85mm AA into a 3.7 would be murderous! 

IanS

I'd rather depict what was used rather than a compromise.  Two different units are in the topic, the 3.7 inch AA was used by the Heavy AA regts. the one I'm interested in being the 108th Heavy Regiment in the 52nd Lowland Divisional artillery.  40mm guns were indeed used by the Lt AA. The 108th is oft quoted as Light but it appears it was in fact a Heavy Regiment.

Apologies if I was other than clear in what I was after 8)
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fred.

I wasn't aware of the Crusader with 40mm (no turret) option. As you say should be a fairly easy conversion - as I suspect the real one was the AA gun mounted on the hull. But if its an easy conversion for us, shouldn't be hard for Pendraken to knock one up too, which could be an easy new code, as both the hull and gun already exist.

The 3.7" AA gun would be handy - used pretty much through out the war by the British, and Pendraken have a good catalogue of heavy guns. I'd certainly be up for a few of these if they were made.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts