Great Patriotic Green

Started by Wulf, 02 January 2019, 02:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Happy New Year! ...and...

What colours (Vallejo preferably) do you use to paint Soviet tanks & armour of WWII? I've tried various greens, including Russian Green (seems suitable...), Russian Uniform (another likely contender) and more, but they all turn out looking too dark on a 10mm scale mini. A bit of drybrushing helps a load, but I prefer washes. I had a similar issue with Panzer Grey for German armour, and settled on London Gray with a few black washes.

Leman

Have you tried Middlestone. It is lighter than Green Yellow, so should be able to handle washes well. I use it for one of my WWI Russian uniform colours.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

I used Russian uniform over a Halfords grey primer which I think helped the colour stay  a little lighter
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Wulf

Quote from: Leman on 02 January 2019, 03:21:52 PM
Have you tried Middlestone. It is lighter than Green Yellow, so should be able to handle washes well. I use it for one of my WWI Russian uniform colours.
For tanks? I use it for my late was Germans, and it work a treat, but it's not very... green... There's certainly green pigment in it out of the bottle, but that mixes in once it's fully stirred.

Wulf

Quote from: Fenton on 02 January 2019, 04:18:43 PM
I used Russian uniform over a Halfords grey primer which I think helped the colour stay  a little lighter
That's exactly what I'm using now. Previously I tried the green over a white primer, and that still looked too dark for me. I prefer to use washes for detail, and at that point the tanks just looks like a green silhouette...

I may simply be putting too much green on, I do notice that all the Soviet tanks with pictures in the Pendraken catalogue look like they've been edge highlighted with a bit of drybrushing.

Steve J

I use Russian Green, give it a wash of Devlin Mud, then drybrush with GW Catachan Green, followed by Camo Green and finally one of a Light Green/Beige, the name of which escapes me!

Womble67

I use Russian Green but to be honest I wouldn't get too caught up with a colour as there were so many variations I would use Russian green as your base and lighten it to your preference.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Quote from: Womble67 on 03 January 2019, 02:30:46 PM
I use Russian Green but to be honest I wouldn't get too caught up with a colour as there were so many variations I would use Russian green as your base and lighten it to your preference.
Yes, it seems I'd be best just to mix & change to drybrushing.

Dannyboy

Thought I'd give this a go as Russian Tank Green is a lot lighter than expected, possibly due to cheap pigments and bleaching due to sunlight etc.

GW Death Guard Green spray.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Spray-Death-Guard-Green-2019

Orcs

Quote from: Womble67 on 03 January 2019, 02:30:46 PM

Take care

Andy

I have an excellent Russian book on tank Russian tank camouflage, and in 4 pagers of colour plates counted 9 definitely different greens, from an almost grey shade right through to a fairly bright grass green.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr Dave

Alas, with colour photos, what you are probably getting is more information about the sensitivity of the film and the differing levels of ambient illumination than you are about the actual colour of the AFVs.  :(

Terry37

Wulf, a very good question. The first thing to consider is that the smaller the scale the lighter you want to go with your base color. I am using what we call "hobby store colors" for my Russian vehicles so cannot offer a suggestion for a Vallejo shade. I do the same for my German armor, using a medium gray and hen a black wash with highlights of lighter grays - but again I use mostly hobby store paints. I like Vallejo, but some of the colors are just too difficult to get mixed, with their greens being oe of them. Sorry i can't be any more help.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Orcs

Quote from: Dr Dave on 12 November 2019, 03:18:39 PM
Alas, with colour photos, what you are probably getting is more information about the sensitivity of the film and the differing levels of ambient illumination than you are about the actual colour of the AFVs.  :(

That are not colour photos but coloured drawings
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Dannyboy on 11 November 2019, 09:55:15 PM
Thought I'd give this a go as Russian Tank Green is a lot lighter than expected, possibly due to cheap pigments and bleaching due to sunlight etc.

GW Death Guard Green spray.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Spray-Death-Guard-Green-2019

Death guard green will certainly make them fight better.

Dr Dave

Quote from: Orcs on 12 November 2019, 04:07:04 PM
That are not colour photos but coloured drawings

Well that just tells you what the artist had in his box of crayons then!  ;D