What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: mad lemmey on 17 December 2019, 08:25:10 PM
Sounds great

I was a great game.
The armies large enough to demonstrate some of the strengths of Honours of War.
The forces balanced enough to allow either force to conduct offensives.
Interesting terrain caused a few choke points, and these created some interesting wrinkles in our formations.

But most of all, thanks to my host for hospitality and a fine gaming experience.

Steve J

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

FierceKitty

Westmarcher

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 17 December 2019, 09:12:13 PM
I was a great game.

I would like to point out I was not playing with him. I was playing against him. Erm, he was my opponent:-[

.... actually .... I suspect he was trying to say, "I was great" ....  =)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Home brewed Smarties Mechs
2) What armies were confronted? - individual mechs
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - easy
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes, for all of us
5) How many players were in the game? - 15
6) What went well? - shooting
7) What could have been improved? - not much, but I've overdosed on others Smarties.

Each time you hit and did damage to an opponent's mach (free-for-all), you won an amount of their Smarties, if you lost all your Smarties, you die.
Great night.
Sure they were Techno's clix mechs...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

15 players? Hmmm. Somehow, I don't believe everyone washed their hands .....  :-&
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Sandinista

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Warlords of Erehwon
2) What armies were confronted? - Undead and Dwarves
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, seems easy to pick up
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 2
6) What went well? - everything, no real complaints
7) What could have been improved? - Hard to tell, was my first game.

I would play this again, if only to be able to give a proper verdict on it. Initial thoughts are that it is ok, but Dragon Rampant gives a better game. Will need to play a few more games to be sure.
I currently have no plans to spend money on it.

Cheers
Ian

paulr

My immediate thought on seeing the title of the rules was Erehwon station in the Southern Alps of New Zealand, famous as the back of nowhere ;)
https://erewhonhorsestud.co.nz/

The fantasy connection dawned when I remembered that Edros for the Lord of the Rings was filmed on the neighbouring Mt Potts Station
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

shireman

Bloody Big Battles. Fredericksburg. My first introduction to these rules. Bought myself a copy and looking forward to using it for my FPW forces. Thoroughly enjoyable experience.

toxicpixie

Great. Choice Shireman :)

I've avoided both this thread and the "what are you reading" one due to it making me buy stuff :D

However - for the last third of the year we've played two Battletech campaigns (the original and the best giant heavy metal future of the 80's cribbed off the fall of Rome giant robot combat game!), using the new Alpha Strike "miniatures fast play" release. And they've been awesome :D

In the first the plucky underdog Davion Periphery March Militia stopped Lady Death Trevalanes ne'er so well Pirates cold, ground them down and then obliterated them.

In the second Clans Wolf and Diamond Shark cleaved through the Inner Sphere defenders with (mostly) ease (barring an amazing overheating Free Rasulhague Republic mechjockey taking very expensive chunks out of three times his mechs weight in Clan Assault mechs, and a similar "dead eye head shot" Kuritan Griffin jockey who cost us two pilots!), then hit the Com Guards dug in on Tukayyid and got totally Foch'd.

Brilliant.

Last game of the year was a first for us - Gaslands, semi-apocalyptic Dark Future/Mad Max/Car Wars from Osprey using Matchbox cars. Really good fun, simple, mayhem filled rules, eight new players, six casualties. The two survivors were one toddling up the back at 15mph, the other had a blinding start and was way ahead of the pack at 150mph!

I was catching him ready to machine gun him down when I skidded thru the first checkpoint and ended up facing the pack. I had a cunning plan for a strafing run past them and back into the flank of the race leader but turn order (Pole Position) shifted, I got dumped down the turn order and another driver had a WITNESS ME moment and drove his disintegrating wagon head on into me. I survived, the second car he hit survived, then he exploded and took both of us and the rest of the pack out!

Ludicrous fun and modding Matchbox cars is very addictive :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

27 December 2019, 11:23:15 AM #387 Last Edit: 27 December 2019, 11:30:29 AM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? -IACTA ALEA EST HEP ATQUE!
2) What armies were confronted? Vikings, Byzantines
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Ho yus.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? -  A unit of Cumans tried to get out of the way, then panicked and flad.
7) What could have been improved? - Everything else. The rules are a bit too rough on infantry armies against horse, I suspect.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: shireman on 24 December 2019, 06:50:40 PM
Bloody Big Battles. Fredericksburg. My first introduction to these rules. Bought myself a copy and looking forward to using it for my FPW forces. Thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Very happy to hear it, Shireman! I hope you'll enjoy refighting the FPW with BBB.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? -IACTA ALEA EST HEP ATQUE!
2) What armies were confronted? Vikings, Byzantines
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Ho yus.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
6) What went well? - rain, and a river down the centre. Byzantine archery hindered, cavalry constricted. Still not an easy fight, but better than before.
7) What could have been improved? - My saving throws were mathematically absurd!