What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were fighting? - Seleucids and Republican Romans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – Not a bit of it
5) How many players were in the game? – three
6) What went well? – River in spate covered my flank; enemy suffered from desertions and frequent disorder in muddy going.
7) What could have been improved? - My own horse had mud trouble too; but this was an acceptable trade-off against a mounted-strong enemy.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Dragon Rampant
2) What armies were fighting? - 17thC English vs Forest of Dean dwellers
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Pretty much
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No, but a tad rusty
5) How many players were in the game? – Solo
6) What went well? – The broad game mechanics came back and flowed nicely. The morale save by both sides were rather good.
7) What could have been improved? - I forgot a few rules, but not surprising really, given I haven't played for a year or so.

ronan

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Piquet, field of battle
2) What armies were fighting? - ACW
6) What went well? – The South won, and I was playing a confederate officer ! The game ran very well.  And  it was the first time I used my dedicated room (I had to move again, the 4th time in one year and a half :(  so I'm glad there's something good ;) )
7) What could have been improved? - The North side was a bit too weak.  I used the #7 scenario from "scenario for all ages", (as some people here incited me to buy ;) ) and choose to use 1861. The  blue had to quickly get away.. but were badly commanded... I should have give them a better officer.

FierceKitty

07 December 2019, 06:45:44 PM #363 Last Edit: 07 December 2019, 06:52:21 PM by FierceKitty
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – IACTA ALEA EST! (with medieval bogey table for the Moors)
2) What armies were fighting? - Vikings and Andalusian Muslims
5) How many players were in the game? – two
6) What went well? – rainy weather hindered Muslim archery for a few rounds, and the muddy field delayed their horse a great deal; their Frankish allies deserted; the lighter troops failed a few evasion tests. When morale on both sides went shaky, we just pulled through, but they became shaken, and broke shortly afterwards. The Berserkir did useful service in just tying up some critical Umayyad units with their refusal to run away
7) What could have been improved? - My Huscarls did poorly under attack; brave enough, but casualties were more rapid than they should have been. Berber light horse made short work of a large warband, too, but that will probably always happen unless we get very dense terrain to cover our flanks.

paulr

Quote from: ronan on 07 December 2019, 06:24:02 PM
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Piquet, field of battle
2) What armies were fighting? - ACW
6) What went well? – The South won, and I was playing a confederate officer ! The game ran very well.  And  it was the first time I used my dedicated room (I had to move again, the 4th time in one year and a half :(  so I'm glad there's something good ;) )
7) What could have been improved? - The North side was a bit too weak.  I used the #7 scenario from "scenario for all ages", (as some people here incited me to buy ;) ) and choose to use 1861. The  blue had to quickly get away.. but were badly commanded... I should have give them a better officer.

A win, well done sir :)
Good to hear you now have a dedicated room :) :)
Hopefully you will be more settled over the next few years
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Honours of War
2) What armies were fighting? - '44 Franco-Jacobites vs Hanoverians British
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No
5) How many players were in the game? – Two
6) What went well? – The Hanoverian British cavalry charges die rolling
7) What could have been improved? - One French cavalry command roll might have turned the game in favour of the Franco-Jacobites

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – BKCII
2) What armies were fighting? - German Heer & Fallschirmjager vs US Airborne & British armour 1944
5) How many players were in the game? – Sol
6) What went well? – This was my second attempt to fight on a 2' x 2' table with lots of buildings etc. Worked really well after making some adjustments.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot really given it was a quick game to test some ideas.

Norm

) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Napoleon 20 ( a boardgame that plays at the army level with no more than 20 counters on the table)
2) What armies were fighting? - French / Austrian 1809 Battle of Wagram
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – yes
5) How many players were in the game? – a two player game played solo
6) What went well? – The system is slick and easily remembered, the specific battle rules bring a good amount of chrome to what is a generic system
7) What could have been improved? - I did not have a full grasp of the module rules initially and a couple of them were only revealed to me during play and they mattered. A second playing with this short game will pick up on all of that.

Not Drowning, Waving

Hello Norm
I have just bought Hanau 20 with a hope of discovering this system over Christmas. Glad to hear solo worked as that will be my first exposure to it.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – HEP! DEUS VULT!
2) What armies were fighting? - Ayyubids and 3rd crusade Franks
6) What went well? – I was GMing this one; watched Lee slaughter a beginner.
7) What could have been improved? - Things were satisfactory. He wants revenge.

Norm

Quote from: Not Drowning, Waving on 15 December 2019, 08:17:32 AM
Hello Norm
I have just bought Hanau 20 with a hope of discovering this system over Christmas. Glad to hear solo worked as that will be my first exposure to it.

We have enjoyed all of our games with the system, either face to face or solo - a clever design.

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 15 December 2019, 12:05:49 PM
1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – HEP! DEUS VULT!
2) What armies were fighting? - Ayyubids and 3rd crusade Franks
6) What went well? – I was GMing this one; watched Lee slaughter a beginner.
7) What could have been improved? - Things were satisfactory. He wants revenge.

;D ;D ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Mmm, he's got a few painful experiences in his future.

Westmarcher

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Honours of War
2) What armies were fighting? - SYW Austrians vs Prussians in 10mm using Pendraken miniatures.
5) How many players were in the game? – Two. Myself as the Austrian commander vs. our own Steve Holmes.
6) What went well? – Smooth playing game with very few stops to delve into the rule book to refresh our memories.
7) What could have been improved? - Only our knowledge.

This afternoon, we played one of Steve Jones's scenarios, The Action at Oberheim-Wollhausen - a pursuit battle in which a Prussian advance guard catches up with an outnumbered Austrian rear guard. Having no cavalry ("Vare vas mein kavalrie fuhrer, Jeb Schtuart?"), I had no choice but to turn and fight the pursuing Prussian horde of foot, cavalry and artillery whilst a rider rode forward to my retreating main army to bring back reinforcements. Fortunately, the fight was going so well that when these arrived on Turn 5, I was able to move on to the offensive. With my right flank anchored on Oberheim, I confidently pushed forward on my left, causing the Prussian right to fall back.

Unfortunately, my opponent was also having a say on the course of the battle. Meanwhile, Steve was  building a massed battery in his centre and mounting his own flank attack on my right at Oberheim. Although assisted by the sterling performance of one of my Grenadier battalions which steadfastly held my extreme right flank for the whole game (forcing back not only one but two attacks by supported Prussian battalions - including a Guard battalion), Oberheim twice changed hands in a see-saw fight that saw me lose two infantry battalions and left another badly mauled. Despite this gallant defence on my right, however, my left wing attack began to falter as units fell like ninepins to a storm of defensive Prussian artillery and musketry fire. With darkness falling and only 1 unit more to lose, and Steve with 5 to lose, before either of us hit our Army Breakpoint (plus Mrs Westie was waiting to serve me my dinner), I conceded defeat and quit the field. Well done, Steve. Thanks for an enjoyable afternoon's gaming. That's the second time you've defeated me playing Honours of War. In the words of some Roman guy, "I will have my vengeance!"  ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner