What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Note to typist: there is a difference between an armoured car and an armoured cat. Consult the pictures.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Hep! Deus vult!
2) What armies were fighting? - Crusaders vs East Romans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Ho, yus.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – Not a bit of it
5) How many players were in the game? – two
6) What went well? – Byzantines tried to make it a heavy cavalry operation. This is risking everything on red 27 against the Franks, and the Hospitallers and Templars took out the Roman horse, their Alan allies, and the Emperor himself. Checkmate,
7) What could have been improved? - The rest of my army hardly moved; very poor control rolls.

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Honours of War
2) What armies were fighting? - Jacobites vs British 1744
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Very
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No.
5) How many players were in the game? – Two
6) What went well? – After a break of around 6 weeks, the rules came back to us in an instant, which is nice. The scenario worked well and added more fun and flavour to our Brexite campaign.
7) What could have been improved? - The French command rolls, which again stopped them gaining an emphatic victory, but allowed General Cope and his troops to make an orderly withdrawl.

Dave Fielder

It was another open goal that failed to be scored by the French! "Anything but a one" ....  ^#(^
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Last Hussar

Orcs is your man when it comes to not wanting a One
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

So write and tell Mrs Orcs never to give him one.

Chris Pringle

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Bloody Big Battles! (BBB)
2) What armies were fighting? - Napoleon vs Austrians: Wagram
5) How many players were in the game? – 4
6) What went well? – Epic game that really felt like punch, counter-punch, as each side reeled from the opponent's attack, then rallied and threw one of its own.
7) What could have been improved? - Having fought Solferino on Sunday I was still in 1866 mode and deployed my guns too far back. Could have been more effective if I'd rumbled them forward. Talk about generals 'fighting the last war' - I was 'fighting the next war'. Still managed a draw though.

I don't usually post about our BBB games but I was already on a high from talking to so many good people at Warfare during our Solferino demo/participation game (we fought it through one and a half times despite spending more time chatting than playing), and then Mark's Wagram scenario produced such an excellent and flavourful game I just had to share.  8)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Honours of War
2) What armies were fighting? - Jacobites vs British 1744
5) How many players were in the game? – Two
6) What went well? – The British shooting, which stopped the French attacks and Dave managed to get in a couple of Highland charges.
7) What could have been improved? - The Jacobites command rolls early (even with Dave's changed command die!) on stopped them from being able to co-ordinate their attacks with the French, which allowed the British to 'defeat them in detail' as it were.

We've reached the point now where we need a classic big set piece battle to sort this out, as neither side have been able to get that emphatic victory that might have decided the campaign outcome early on.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – IACTA ALEA EST!
2) What armies were fighting? - Seleucids vs Republican Romans
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Ho, yus.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – Not a bit of it
5) How many players were in the game? – two
6) What went well? – I was good and restrained, holding back my horse to support the powerful Roman and Italian allied foot. The Seleucids' Arab allies refused to move for hours. Both sides held their lines together well. I destroyed the Hetairoi and King Antiochus III with a determined attack of Pergamene allies under King Attalos, who died heroically but held them up for the Latin horse to flank charge them. Lee's feeling very pleased with herself for her victory, which I suppose counts as a good outcome too.
7) What could have been improved? - I moved horse and supporting foot into killer positions on both flanks, and then had two failures of control (each a one in six chance) which meant my pincers were themselves twisted off by counter attacks (and my elephants missed a go at the Agema). When army morale went shaky on both sides, I was the one whose army ran away. The Seleucid artillery, which normally has minimal effect, shot up one legion seriously.

Good game, nonetheless; both sides paid a lot of attention to maintaining the line, which kept things going a long time.

Steve J

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Neil Thomas' Ancient & Medieval Wargaming.
2) What armies were fighting? - Sea People's vs Sea People's.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Sort of...
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No, but a few years since I looked a them.
5) How many players were in the game? – Solo
6) What went well? – The basic game mechanics worked well for a very simple game
7) What could have been improved? - I think they need some fleshing out, but easy to add detail as required.

d_Guy

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 November 2019, 01:44:51 AM
Someone needs a Cat-ana :)

I love this picture!
My first flash image was Constantine after the Milvian Bridge.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Norm

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Advanced Squad Leader - Starter Kit 1 (boardgame).
2) What armies were fighting? - German Vs Siberian Soviets.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – yes
5) How many players were in the game? – Solo
6) What went well? – Infantry only game, so little rule referencing. My back is bad (again!) so this small single gameboard sat under my nose at the table - no reaching or stretching, very comfortable.
7) What could have been improved? - I needed a magnifying glass to read a leaders name, this is not an important game function, but I was doing a bit of a write-up. Modern game counters do need larger fonts  for older eyes :-)