What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? – 1744 French vs English Militia & Line Infantry
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Very.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – No
5) How many players were in the game? – 2
6) What went well? – The scenario provided a game of manouevre, which was great. In the end the French got enough fire ascendancy to push one English flank back, thus unhinging the whole position. As it's part of our campaign, it worked a treat.
7) What could have been improved - Not a lot really, other than both sides artillery was rather ineffective..

paulr

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Volley & Bayonet Wing scale Indian Mutiny variant (pulled together from a couple of local Colonial variants)
2) What armies were fighting? - Loyalists v Muntineers
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – Third time testing this variant
5) How many players were in the game? – one
6) What went well? – the variant seemed to work pretty well, this time the Loyalists were attacking dug in Mutineers defending a village
7) What could have been improved? - the Loyalist attack on the village, with the Mutineers morale holding it was a disaster, I've tweaked the rules a little to make drilled cavalry slightly less effective
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Regiment of Foot by Peter Pig (Old School wargaming!)
2) What armies were fighting? - Late Royalists vs Late Parliamentarians (using Last Hussar's vintage 25mm Minifigs and Hinchcliffe)
5) How many players were in the game? – Two (although sometimes it felt like only one! :d)
6) What went well? – after a bit of a false start we got back into the swing of the rules fairly easily
7) What could have been improved? - some of LH's Royalists actually turning up on the table!

As you can see in the second photo, the Royalist centre is looking a bit empty, consisting of one man and his dog fending off a unit of veteran foot! ;D The units along the Royalist table edge are the latecomers waiting to arrive.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Ball and Bayonette
2) What armies were fighting? - SYW Prussians and Austrians
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – Not a bit of it
5) How many players were in the game? – two
6) What went well? – From my point of view, just that Lee is very pleased to have clobbered me.
7) What could have been improved? - Just about everything!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

Sunjester comprehensively outmarched me during the pregame "campaign" segment (one of my favourite pieces of wargame rules, despite how long it takes.) Being out manoeuvred half my army was else where or still marching.

About my only success was a cavalry unit routing some infantry, however that meant they pursued off table and it was so close to the end of the game that even if they had come back, they would be too far away to command.

It was also the inaugural game of my expensive wargames table (weirdly called something like "dining table" by the shop). At 110cm it was ideal for RoF, which uses a 3ft table, as I had a strip where I could put my late arrivals as per the rules, showing where they were coming on.

I also used poker chips to keep count of campaign points and marches made, which seemed better than scrawling it on a scrap of paper.

The terrain is so sparse because I only selected one piece, hoping not to impede my great numbers of cavalry, which were then late/lost, and SJ sucessfully removed the woods that i had put slap bang in his middle.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were fighting? - Mexicans and Conquistadors
6) What went well? –  New ambush rules for the Cuachicqueh let them break into a weak enemy centre mainly composed of Tlaxcalans, with a few vulnerable Spanish crossbowmen. On the flank, the other veterans bogged down the rondeleros and allowed the Jaguars (Ocelomeh, that is) to get into the musketeers, with decicise results. The Spanish cavalry were used rather clumsily, so the lights were steadily pushed back until they fled the field, and the tiny handful of heavies were a bit diffident, so were surrounded and cut to bits.
7) What could have been improved? - Some rolls were less than I hoped (but others were lucky, so shouldn't complain).

mmcv

mmcv

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – For King and Parliament
2) What armies were fighting? - Royalists vs Parliamentarians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Not initially, but moreso as game progressed
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? – Yep
5) How many players were in the game? – Just me
6) What went well? – Gave a good game overall, with a bit of back and forth.
7) What could have been improved? - My familiarity with the rules and the draws on the first couple of turns - high activations and low attacks, not what you want!

Report on it here:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,19064.0.html

FierceKitty

Quote from: mmcv on 22 September 2019, 09:19:59 PM
Glad your ambush rules worked out FK!

As was I. :) Though they'll use scouts next time, of course.

mmcv

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – BKCII & IV
2) What armies were confronted? - Germans vs Allies, Operation Market-Garden
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Very.
5) How many players were in the game? – 2
6) What went well? – The scenario worked well in showing how hard it was for either side to control Hell's Highway. Dave's shooting die were phenominal.
7) What could have been improved - My saving die rolls.

FierceKitty

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? – Ten More Sons!
2) What armies were fighting? - 16th century Indians - imperial vs rebel
6) What went well? –  I took a bit of heavy artillery, and they made short work of the enemy elephantry. Rajput allies did fine work riding down the rebel left wing. A sneaky enemy LC envelopment went wrong and was wiped out.
7) What could have been improved? - Masked my own guns briefly early in the game. Some Hindu levies contemplated desertion, but thought better of it.

MartinKnight1333

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Tiger Kompanie (home made developed)
2) What armies were confronted? - Wittmans counter attack August 8th 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - comletetley we obtained almost the exact casualties
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - no we are or have developed them
5) How many players were in the game? - three
6) What went well? - The Britsi and canadians did well caused the right type of damage
7) What could have been improved? - as all three are ex militarty it is the first time with a WW2 rule set that we werre happy with from start to finish.