What was the last rules set you played 2019

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 01 January 2019, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - Hungarians vs Austrians & Russians, Battle of Temesvar, 1849
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? -  Four
6) What went well? - The scenario rocked! This was the final battle of the Hungarian war of independence and it has a 'last days of the Reich' feel to it. The invading Allies now have a very well-oiled military machine, while the Hungarian army has an elite core still but is generally pretty demoralized and has scraped the barrel to field 10,000 scythe-armed levies. The game therefore had that wonderful asymmetry of quality vs quantity, both sides had to maneuver, there was tons of action. The boys are keen to refight this one so we have a rematch scheduled for two weeks' time.
7) What could have been improved? - We could have done with some actual scythe-armed levy figures. Any recommendations for which Pendraken figures to use?

Full AAR on my BBBBlog:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2019/07/hungarys-last-battles-szoreg-and.html

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

Steve J

QuoteAny recommendations for which Pendraken figures to use?

LoA16 - League of Augsburg scythemen?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Dr Dave

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rommel, by Sam Mustafa
2) What armies were confronted? Plucky Brits and Jerries - North Africa 1941
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? -  Four plus umpire (me)
6) What went well? - Everything. It was a basic game and our first time. We got some bits wrong, others bang on. The command post and ops idea we liked a lot
7) What could have been improved? - We played 2 brigade groups per side. That might be the limit, perhaps 3 per side for 4 hrs of play. I'd like to use more.

Steve J

2) What armies were confronted? - Germans vs French, Loigny/Poupry 1870
5) How many players were in the game? -  Tow
6) What went well? - For a bathtubbed game the scenario tweaks worked well. Both sides had their fair share of good die rolls etc.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot really, other than my positioning of the German re-inforcements early on. I took a gamble as to where to place them, which failed this time.

Dave Fielder

It was close run thing and half way through the French Garde Mobile looked like they were about to crumble, then the famous Veteran Rouge Pantalons charged with Elan. Never trust a Republican when an Imperial Elite will save the day.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

mmcv

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Four Against Darkness
2) What armies were confronted? - 4 adventurers against the denizens of a dungeon
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Somewhat
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? -  One
6) What went well? - The game was good, successful run and plenty of decent rolls. First time playing any sort of pen and paper RPG so good intro to the genre.
7) What could have been improved? - Nothing with the game itself but the rule book is a bit if a mess. Rules scattered all over the place, some tables repeated multiple times while others hidden in amongst other rules. They do provide some "pocket books" you can print out as quick reference but there was a fair bit missing from them so a lot of flipping through the pdf. Some important rules I didn't discover until towards the end of the game. I'll know better next time! Will probably try and make up a cheat sheet of the key bits missing from the pocket books and take it from there but all and all a fun morning diversion and looking forward to the intrepid adventurers' next outing.

Steve J

2) What armies were confronted? - Russians vs Turks, Kurudere in the Crimea 1854
5) How many players were in the game? -  Two
6) What went well? - The Turks played a blinder considering they were leaderless and with some really bad troops. The scenario is really good and worked well, even though it was slightly bathtubbed. Having plenty of space to deploy cavalry to good effect was great fun. The game ebbed and flowed as was the closest game we've played for quite some time.
7) What could have been improved? - Not a lot really, other than Russian shooting and command and control.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Steve J on 24 July 2019, 09:37:53 PM
2) What armies were confronted? - Russians vs Turks, Kurudere in the Crimea 1854
6) What went well? - The Turks played a blinder considering they were leaderless and with some really bad troops. The scenario is really good and worked well, even though it was slightly bathtubbed. Having plenty of space to deploy cavalry to good effect was great fun. The game ebbed and flowed as was the closest game we've played for quite some time.

Sounds great! Kurudere is certainly a battle with a very different feel from most C19 actions. We've been fighting the Hungary 1848 battles where the Turks' chief of staff learned his trade. Good to hear that his plan went well for once.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Dave Fielder

There was Turkish Delight all round after that battle. I think it was time for an early Revolution following that display of Russian indifference against an ancient enemy. An inglorious technical victory because the Russians held the ground but with both armies exhausted and bled out. Turkish troops certainly had motivation on the day.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - A Song of Fire And Ice
2) What armies were confronted? On our table, Starks vs Lannisters, next to us was Free Folk vs Bolton/Starks, and at the end was Stark vs Night Watch
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - by the end, pretty much so.
4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - yes
5) How many players were in the game? -  Two per game, so 6 of us.
6) What went well? - Game 1 took out Robb Stark with his unit and the Stark Cavalry to win.
7) What could have been improved? - Game two, failed to kill a thing!
We got two games in on the time the others finished one! Very bloody rules, very simple basics, bit lots of tactics and nuances that are driven by event cards. The right cards at the right time is awesome, the wrong cards and it's bloody...
Really enjoyed it.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

What figures did you use for those games Will?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Duke Speedy of Leighton

But if you want the rules for free, look up the War Council app, it's all on there...

Big Insect

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - L'art de la Guerre (LaDG)

2) What armies were confronted? This was a multi-game competition held at the 'Attack' show at Devizes, UK - 28mm armies - restricted to armies that fought Republican Rome (& their Republican Roman enemies). I played with my naked (well partly fur clad) Ancient German (Cimbri or Teutones) tribal war-band army - lots of impetuous heavy war-band; some elite medium cavalry and light foot javelinmen.

3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes - this is my current 'go-to' Ancient and Medieval gaming set - it works well in 28mm, so it is nice to get old armies out and dust them off - also as most armies are c.20 bases - it's not too huge an effort to create/collect new ones.

4) and... was this the first time you used this ruleset? - No - I play this a lot - both at club and in open competitions - this was a 200 point event - but we also play a faster smaller 120 point game that is great fun of an evening. It works well in 28mm and 15mm and I am sure in 10mm as well - as the bases are large enough to get a lot of 10mm figure on - so it would look very impressive.

5) How many players were in the game? -  Two per game, so I think there were 20 of us in total in the competition

6) What went well? - Game 1 was a mutual destruction (rare in LaDG) - I faced a beautifully painted Aventine Ptolemaic army (we both broke simultaneously); Game 2 - a Draw - I fought a Republican Roman and managed to mangle one end of his heavy infantry line, but he trashed my cavalry but neither of us broke within the time; Game 3 - a Win against another Ancient German  - here is where my cavalry paid off, as they outnumbered their opposite numbers & turned a flank and in LaDG that is almost certain death for the opposing army; Game 4 - a Loss to a Carthaginian (who came overall 2nd) - a good game - better combat dice against his veteran African infantry and I might have done better (but do not mention Balearic slingers - see below).

7) What could have been improved? - Game one - I could have been more cautious against the Ptolemaic cavalry wing - it fought much better than I anticipated. And in the final game ... Note to self - do not (ever, ever) send troops into rough going against elite Balearic slingers (you have been warned!) - 2 elite LF slingers and a mediocre Carthaginian elephant in Brush destroyed 5 of my units - 2 LF javelins, and 2 dismounted cavalry (MF elite swordsmen) and 1 mounted Medium cavalryman ... it was bloody... & the dice deserted me, but equally my opponent has 'previous' for playing his light troops in terrain very well.

Really enjoyed the event and LaDG is the rules set that just keeps on giving for me - a nice mix of older style DBA mechanism, FoG and Armati, with more flexibility and larger armies than straight DBA. The single base is a unit also works much better for me - I don't feel like I am buying and painting a lot of extra figures for nothing.

I just hope that they do not muck it about too much once they release version 2 shortly - just fix the errata and a few army list tweaks and that would do me fine  8)

There is a 120pt, 28mm, 4 games in one day LaDG event at the IPMS model show at Thornbury on Sunday 8th August I shall compete in next - hmmm as this is an 'open' event (but with no Knights allowed to be fielded) I am contemplating fielding my Hussites - just for a bit of colour and fun you understand  :D or maybe I should go for an all out impetuous mounted charging army with a Sarmatian or maybe a pre feudal Norman ... choices, choices, choices  :-

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.